9-11 Truth Movement
After the September 11, 2001 destruction of the World Trade Center in New York City, the Bush Administration initially resisted an independent investigation. In December 2002, after lobbying by families of September 11 victims, the White House established an independent commission, under former New Jersey Governor Thomas H. Kean. The administration opted for a hand-picked panel and terms of reference confined to intelligence failures and recommendations.
There have also been a disparate number of individuals and citizens groups investigating the attacks and their aftermath. The diverse groups - from those advocating on behalf of family members through to conspiracy theorists - have been dubbed the "9/11 truth movement".
- Congressional Joint Inquiry Into September 11 - by the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, and the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence - Report Joint Inquiry into Intelligence Community Activities before and after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, December 2002; S.Rept.No.107-351 and H.Rept.No.107-792
- of which 28 pages remain classified
- The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, otherwise known as the 9-11 Commission, is an "independent, bipartisan commission created by congressional legislation in late 2002, chartered to prepare for the President and Congress a full and complete account of the circumstances surrounding the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, including preparedness for and the immediate response to the attacks. The Commission is also mandated to provide recommendations designed to guard against future attacks.
- Family Steering Committee for the 9/11 Independent Commission
- Families of September 11, Inc.
- Five Towns Forum
- Just Four Moms from New Jersey / Kristen Breitweiser
- L.I. Freespace
- September 11th Advocates
- September Eleventh Families for Peaceful Tomorrows
- Voices of September 11th (web) is "an advocacy group providing resources and support to victims' families, survivors, and all those impacted by the terrorist attack on September 11th."
Groups Pushing Various Theories
There are a range of groups and individuals promoting various theories about a government 'cover-up'. Many of these argue that the US government had prior knowledge of the attacks. They also commonly include allegations of everything from purported evidence of financial speculation, the 'demolition' of the third tower, that a missile hit the Pentagon not a jetliner etc.
Some of these sites are:
Groups & Websites Focussed on 9/11 Investigations
- 9/11 Citizens Watch "is a new citizen-led oversight process established to monitor and constructively engage the Government-sanctioned National Commission on the Terrorist Attacks on the U.S."
- 9-11 Visibility Project was formed Fall 2003 "to obtain a complete and unobstructed investigation into the 2001 terrorist attacks."
- 911 Truth Alliance International
- International Citizens' Inquiry into 9/11
- Paul Thompson., "9/11 Summary: Ten Pages of 9/11 Facts. Was 9/11 Allowed to Happen?,"
- 9/11 "Timeline: Ten-Page Summary. Verifiable Media Timeline of 9/11.
- "The Terror Timeline" by Paul Thompson; the most comprehensive database of 9/11, by the author of the "Complete 9/11 Timeline," an amazing reference source of mass media articles that show 9/11 was not a surprise attack.
Videos / Movies
- The Great Conspiracy (web), an update to the January 2002 "Great Deception". This film had footage of President George W. Bush reading "My Pet Goat" more than two years before Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11.
- Alex Jones, 911 - The Road to Tyranny
- George Humphrey, 911 - The Great Illusion,
- "9/11 - In Plane Site" (web)
- List of movies on 9/11.
- Mariani Vs Bush (Full Amended Complaint): "Philip J. Berg, Esquire, announced today that he, attorney for Ellen Mariani, wife of Louis Neil Mariani, who died when United Air Lines flight 175 was flown into the South Tower of the World Trade Center on 9-11 at a news conference regarding the filing of a detailed Amended Complaint in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania on 11/26/03 in the case of Mariani vs. Bush et al that he is alleging President Bush and officials including, but not limited to Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld and Feinberg."
Related SourceWatch Resources
- National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (9-11 Commission)
- Thomas H. Kean, chairman of the 9-11 Commission
- September 11, 2001
- weapons of mass destruction
- weapons of mass destruction investigation
- See also topics which link to here.
- Amy Goodman, "The New Pearl Harbor: A Debate On A New Book That Alleges The Bush Administration Was Behind The 9/11 Attacks", Democracy Now, May 26, 2004. (Interview with David Ray Griffin, author of The New Pearl Harbor).
- 19 February 2004: "The 9/11 Truth Movement: Widows Lead Growing Effort To Expose What The Government Knew," Long Island Press.
- Terry J. Allen, "The 9/11 Faith Movement", In These Times, July 12, 2006.
- Manuel Valenzuela, "The Unearthing: An Awakening Has Arrived. With Truth Comes Awakening," Information Clearing House, May 3, 2007.