This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on global corporations.
Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
Amgen is a large pharmaceutical company based in Thousand Oaks, California.
It manufactures pharmaceuticals to treat cancer, kidney disease, inflammation and metabolic diseases. The company's anti-anemia drugs, Epogen and Aranesp account for over a third of its sales. Enbrel, another leading drug, treats rheumatoid arthritis and is one of it's best sellers. The company has drug pipe lines and marketing alliances with Japanese brewer and pharmaceutical company Kirin, Johnson & Johnson, and other drug companies. Amgen sells primarily through wholesale distributors in North America and Europe. 
In the fiscal year ending in December of 2009, Amgen recorded sales of approximately $14.64 billion dollars and had 17,200 employees. 
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Funding controversial education organization Teach for America
Amgen is among the numerous corporate and right-wing foundation donors to the non-profit education organization Teach for America. Teach for America has received criticism from the Center for Media and Democracy and others as it is "backed by a number of right-wing interests that have bankrolled the conservative push to privatize, voucherize, and generally dismantle free and universal public education in America".  As of August 2013, Amgen Foundation is listed as one of Teach for America's three largest corporate sponsors having given between $500,000 and $1,000,000 between 2011 and 2012.
Amgen does animal testing.
Facility information, progress reports & USDA-APHIS reports
This facility performed animal experiments involving pain or distress but no analgesics, anesthetics or pain relievers were administered. For links to copies of this facility's U.S. Department of Agriculture-Animal Plant Health Inspection (APHIS) reports, other information and links, see also Facility Reports and Information: Amgen, Thousand Oaks, CA.
USDA AWA reports
As of May 26, 2009, the USDA began posting all inspection reports for animal breeders, dealers, exhibitors, handlers, research facilities and animal carriers by state. See also USDA Animal Welfare Inspection Reports.
The company spent $7,930,000 for lobbying in 2010. About half the money was spent using in-house lobbyist and half using some 30 lobbying firms. Some of the lobbying firms were Covington & Burling, Podesta Group, Dutko Worldwide, Mehlman Vogel Castagnetti, King & Spalding, Alpine Group, HillCo Partners LLC, Tarplin, Downs & Young, and The Duberstein Group.
Key executives & pay
- Kevin W. Sharer, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, $1,480,000
- George J. Morrow, Executive Vice President of Global Commercial Operations, $1,130,000
- Roger M. Perlmutter, Executive Vice President of R&D, $1,080,000
Selected board members
- Jerry D. Choate, Retired Chairman and CEO, The Allstate Corporation
- Gilbert S. Omenn, Former CEO, University of Michigan Health System
- Judith C. Pelham, President Emeritus, Trinity Health
- Vance D. Coffman, Former CEO of Lockheed Martin
- Richard D. Nanula - CFO
One Amgen Center Drive
Thousand Oaks, CA 91320
Web address: http://www.amgen.com
Articles & sources
Harriet Rowan, Wisconsin Budget Includes $1 Million Taxpayer Giveaway for Well-Funded Teach for America, PR Watch, June 27, 2013.
- Animal testing
- Pharmaceutical industry
- War on Cancer
- Stephen Evans-Freke
- William K. Bowes, Jr. - founding chair
- Teach for America
- Amgen Profile, Hoovers, accessed April 2010
- Key Amgen Financials, Hoovers, accessed April 2010
- American Legislative Exchange Council, HHS Task Force, June 29, 2011, organizational membership spreadsheet, June 29, 2011, p. 32, obtained and released by Common Cause April 2012
- Harriet Rowan, Wisconsin Budget Includes $1 Million Taxpayer Giveaway for Well-Funded Teach for America, PR Watch, June 27, 2013.
- Teach for America, Donors, Teach for America Website, August 21, 2013.
- Facility Reports and Information: Amgen, Thousand Oaks, CA, Stop Animal Experimentation Now!, accessed April 2010
- 2010 Summary Data, Open Secrets, January 2011
- Amgen lobbying expenses, Open Secrets January 2011
- Amgen Key Executives, Yahoo Finance, accessed August 2007.
- Board of Directors, Amgen, accessed August 2007.