Apollo Alliance began in 2003 when "Ted Nordhaus and Michael Shellenberger co-founded the Apollo Alliance to unite major environmental groups and labor unions around a high-tech vision for the future of the American economy. The coalition called for a new “Apollo Project” to revitalize the American economy built around a $300 billion, 10-year effort to accelerate the transition to clean energy. 
It is a group of U.S. business, labor, environmental, and community leaders working to promote clean energy as a means of creating energy independence, reducing carbon emissions, and generating new jobs for and opportunities for American workers and businesses. The group was founded by COWS and the Institute for America's Future in 2004. Chaired by former California State Treasurer and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Phil Angelides, the Board includes the president of the NRDC and the executive director of the Sierra Club, the heads of the Laborers' International Union of North America and the United Steelworkers Union, and actor and environmentalist Robert Redford.
The group advances a plan to lessen the country’s dependence on foreign oil, build a stronger economy, and create a cleaner environment. The ten-point plan calls for diversifying energy sources by expanding the use of existing renewable technologies such as solar, wind, and biomass; modernizing existing power plants; investing in long-term development of hydrogen fuel cell technology; increasing incentives for and prevalence of hybrid cars and energy-efficient building and appliances; and improving transportation options and public infrastructure for metropolitan areas. 
- Cathy Calfo, Executive Director
- Phil Angelides, Chairman - Businessman and former California State Treasurer
- Frances Beinecke - President, Natural Resources Defense Council
- Robert Borosage - President, Institute for America's Future
- Leo Gerard - International President, United Steelworkers Union
- Van Jones - President, Green for All
- Mindy Lubber - President, CERES
- Kathleen McGinty - Secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
- Regis McKenna -Regis McKenna, Inc.
- Terence O'Sullivan - General President, Laborers' International Union of North America
- Ellen Pao - Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers
- Carl Pope - Executive Director, Sierra Club
- Robert Redford - Actor, Director, Environmentalist
- Dan W. Reicher - Director of Climate Change and Energy Initiatives, Google
- Joel Rogers - Director, Center on Wisconsin Strategy
- Lucy Blake - CEO
- Jerome Ringo - President
- Mary Raftery - Chief Operating Officer
- Cathy Calfo - Deputy Director
- Keith Schneider - Communications Director
- Dan Seligman - Washington Director
- Kate Gordon - Program Director
- Richard Eidli - Business Outreach Director
- Carla Din - Western Regional Field Director
Apollo Alliance San Francisco Office
330 Townsend St, Suite 205
San Francisco, CA 94107
Apollo Alliance DC Office
1825 K Street NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20009
Email: feedback [at] apolloalliance.org
- ↑ History of Breakthrough, Breakthrough website accessed April 11, 2013.
- ↑ Mission, Apollo Alliance website, accessed April 2008.
- ↑ The First Years, Apollo Alliance website, accessed April 2008.
- ↑ Apollo Board of Directors, Apollo Alliance website, accessed April 2008.
- ↑ The Ten-Point Plan for Good Jobs and Energy Independence, Apollo Alliance website, accessed April 2008.
Related SourceWatch articles
- State Leadership for a New Energy Future: A Four-Point Initiative for Clean Energy and Good Jobs, Apollo Alliance website, accessed April 2008. (Pdf)
- The Ten-Point Plan for Good Jobs and Energy Independence, Apollo Alliance website, accessed April 2008.