Bakreswar Thermal Power Station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of India and coal.|
The Bakreswar Thermal Power Station is an existing 1050 megawatt (MW) coal-fired power project owned and operated by the West Bengal Power Development Corporation in West Bengal, India.
WBPDC has proposed the addition of a sixth unit in the 2012-2017 period.
The plant is located near Suri in Birbhum district, West Bengal.
The existing power station is located approximately 12 kilometres from Suri, Birbhum district, West Bengal, India.
The project has rail track access via Chinpai on the Andal-Sinthia Line of Eastern Railways. On its website WBPDC states that the existing plant was commissioned in two phases with three 210 MW units commissioned by March 2001 and a further two 210 MW units commissioned between December 2007 and March 2009. The company states that the plant was built on a "turnkey basis" by Itochu & BHEL with Larsen & Tubro constructing the coal handling plant.
- Unit 1 - 210 MW - 1999
- Unit 2 - 210 MW - 2000
- Unit 3 - 210 MW - 2001
- Unit 4 - 210 MW - 2007
- Unit 5 - 210 MW - 2009
- Unit 6 - 500 MW - proposed
Proposed unit 6 expansion
In 2007 West Bengal Power Development Corporation (WBPDC) received environmental clearance for a sixth unit at the power station of 600 MW. Most recently on its website, WBPDC states it is adding a sixth unit to the power station of 500MW, planned for the 2012-2017 period, yet in other documents has listed the proposed unit as 660 MW.
WBPDC states on its website (2012) that financial closure is "awaited" for the expansion project.
As of February 2015 the unit is not listed as under construction. The unit appears to be deferred.
Project Details for Unit 6
Sponsor: West Bengal Power Development Corporation
Location: Suri village, Birbhum district, West Bengal
Coordinates: 23.8285, 87.4513 (exact)
Nameplate capacity: 500 MW
Projected in service:
Estimated annual CO2: 3,903,043 tons
Source of financing:
Permits and applications: Unit 6: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, October 18, 2007
Resources and articles
- West Bengal Power Development Corporation, "About Us: Plant", West Bengal Power Development Corporation website, accessed February 2012.
- "Bakreshwar (BkTPP) Coal Power Station India," Global Energy Observatory, accessed March 2012
- Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, October 18, 2007.
- "Future Projects," West Bengal Power Development Corporation, accessed July 2014.
- "West Bengal Power Development Corporation," Company profile, 2009.
- West Bengal Power Development Corporation, "Future Projects", West Bengal Power Development Corporation website, accessed February 2012.
- Broad Status Report, India Central Electrical Authority, February 2015