Balanced Education for Everyone
Balanced Education for Everyone was a short-lived pressure group that cast global warming as "junk science" and worked to keep the teaching of humans' influence on global warming out of school science classes. "Balanced Education" was formed by the conservative Independent Women's Forum. Members of the group say they are concerned that teaching global warming subjects students to "a frightening untruth." In April, 2010 the group started an effort to remove the teaching of man-made global warming from science classes. The group claimed that by doing this they will be assuring a "balanced education" for children. By June, 2010 the group had disbanded. Christina Jamison, a spokeswoman for Independent Women's Forum, said "Balance Education" was a campaign. "It ended in June when school ended."
The group claimed teaching students about climate change amounts to injecting a "partisan political view" into the classroom.
In May, 2010, Balanced Education for Everyone gathered hundreds of signatures in support of a movement to ban the teaching of global warming in classrooms in Mesa County, Colorado.
The group presented the signatures at a District 51 school board meeting on the evening of May 25, 2010. Forty people who appeared at the hearing to support the group dismissed global warming as "junk science." The petition they presented was aimed at preventing teachers from imparting their "personal, political views in the classroom," according to Rose Pugliese, a Tea Party movement adherent and author of the petition.
The group provided no contact information on its Web site, instead using a Web form.
Web site: http://balanced-ed.org/ is no longer functional as of November 2010.
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- Arguments used to dismiss action on climate change
- Climate change
- Global warming skeptics
- Independent Women's Forum
- Nancy Lofholm Push to teach "other side" of global warming heats up in Colorado's Mesa County Denver Post, May 26, 2010
- Nancy Lofholm, Conservatives' "balanced education" campaign disbands, The Denver Post, July 3, 2010.
- Emily Anderson Petitions target ‘political’ leanings of teachers Grand Junction, Colorado Daily Sentinel, May 26, 2010
- Huffington Post Mesa County Teachers Petitioned To Stop Teaching Global Warming, Other 'Personal' Views, May 26, 2010
- Lisa Palmer, "Public Schools' Global Warming Teachings: A Rich Field for Mining for News Stories", The Yale Forum on Climate Change & The Media, June 24, 2010.
- "Don't Even Mention Global Warming to Kids", PR Watch, accessed November 2010.