Learn more about Pete Peterson-funded astroturf projects at the Fix the Debt Portal.
Belk, Inc. is a publicly owned department store chain founded in 1888 by William Henry Belk in North Carolina.
In January 2012, Belk reported $3,699,592,000 in total revenues.
Ties to Pete Peterson's "Fix the Debt"
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem."
This article is part of the Center for Media and Democracy's investigation of Pete Peterson's Campaign to "Fix the Debt." Please visit our main SourceWatch page on Fix the Debt.
|About Fix the Debt|
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem." Through a special report and new interactive wiki resource, the Center for Media and Democracy -- in partnership with the Nation magazine -- exposes the funding, the leaders, the partner groups, and the phony state "chapters" of this astroturf supergroup. Learn more at PetersonPyramid.org and in the Nation magazine.
As of January 2013
- Thomas M. Belk, Jr.: Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
- John R. Belk: President and Chief Operating Officer
- H.W. McKay Belk: Managing Director, HWMB Advisors, LLC
- Erskine Bowles: President Emeritus of University of North Carolina
- Jerri L DeVard: Executive VIce President of Marketing, Nokie
- Elizabeth Valk Long: Former Executive Vice President, Time Inc.
- Thomas C. Nelson: Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, National Gypsum Company
- John R. Thompson: Senior Vice President and General Manager, BestBuy.com
- John L. Townsend, III: Managing Partner and Chief Operating Officer, Tiger Management LLC
As of January 2013
- Thomas M. Belk, Jr.
- John R. Belk
- Kathryn Bufano
- Ralph A. Pitts
- Brian T. Marley
Featured SourceWatch Articles on Fix the Debt
- Fix the Debt Portal Page
- Fix the Debt's Leadership
- Fix the Debt's Partner Groups
- Fix the Debt's State Chapters
- Fix the Debt's Lobbyists
- Fix the Debt's Parent Group
- Fix the Debt's Corporations
- Pete Peterson
- Peter G. Peterson Foundation
- America Speaks
- Simpson-Bowles Commission
- Erskine Bowles
- Alan Simpson
- Social Security
2801 W. Tyvola Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28217
phone: (704) 357 100
Resources and articles
- "Our History", organization website, accessed January 31, 2013.
- Belk, "Annual Report FY 2012", organizational document, accessed January 31, 2013.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|