Bob Barr, a former member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Georgia's 7th District who was defeated in the 2002 primary, announced December 15, 2006, that he has left the Republican Party and become a Libertarian. 
On April 5, 2008, in an address before the Heartland Libertarian Conference, Bob Barr announced he had formed a Presidential Exploratory Committee to look into his possible campaign to be The Libertarian Presidential Candidate in 2008. 
On May 25, 2008, Rep. Barr secured the Presidential nomination of the Libertarian Party at their convention in Denver, CO 
Barr Biographical Data
- 1971-1978: CIA Official
- 1986-1990: United States Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia
- 1990-1991: Southeastern Legal Foundation President
- 1995-2003: House of Representatives, Georgia 7th District
- 2003-2005: Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, privacy project member
- 2004- : Liberty Strategies LLC Consulting Firm, Principle and Founder
- Kennesaw State University, adjunct professor
- American Conservative Union, 21st Century Liberties Chair for Freedom and Privacy
- National Rifle Association, Board Member
- The Constitution Project, Initiative on Liberty and Security Board Member
- Georgetown Journal of Law and Public Policy, Board of Advisors
- Libertarian Party National Committee member
Records and Controversies
Barr voted for the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 that started the Iraq War.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch resources
- "Press release", Bob Barr 2008 dot com. april 5, 2008
- "Press release", LP dot org May 25 2008
- About PI - International Advisory Board, Privacy International, accessed July 24, 2008.
- Roll call vote, Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002.
- Bob Barr 2008 Presidental Campaign Website
- Bob Barr dot org
- Liberty Strategies LLC website
- Barr's Financial and Contributions Profile from OpenSecrets.org.
- "Barr switches to Libertarian Party ," Gwinnett Daily Post, December 17, 2006.