Brendan Steinhauser, a former student activist at the University of Texas, is the author of The Conservative Revolution: How to Win the Battle for College Campuses. The book is a guide for right-wing activists, and calls on them to "launch a conservative revolution on college campuses."
An alum of the Young Conservatives of Texas, Steinhauser established a sister organisation to YCT, the Young Conservatives of California. These groups are known for their in-your-face style. They have put on events like affirmative action bake sales, professor watchlists, Straight Pride days, and Texas Independence Day celebrations. The groups also lobby the state legislatures of Texas and California.
Ryan Sorba, a controversial College Republican at California State University--San Bernardino, is the Chairman of YCC. Steinhauser has written on his blog about their antics on campuses, and published a piece on TownHall.com about Sorba's attempt to establish a Christian club at CSUSB that discriminates against homosexuals and non-Christians.
According to his bio on TownHall.com and FreedomWorks.org, Steinhauser is affiliated with the Intercollegiate Studies Institute and the Leadership Institute. His website indicates that he teaches "grassroots methods" for LI throughout the country. Steinhauser also is affiliated with the right-wing Collegiate Network, funded by ISI. The CN pours money into conservative campus newspapers and journals such as the Dartmouth Review and UT-Austin's Contumacy.
Steinhauser has published other articles in right-wing publications Human Events, TownHall.com, Front Page Magazine, Intellectual Conservative and The Austin Review. His articles have attacked Noam Chomsky, PETA, progressive professors and students, university administrators and the peace movement.
Steinhauser was the Washington, D.C. chapter leader of the right-wing protest group, Protest Warrior. He led the counter-protest against the anti-war movement's mobilization on September 24, 2005. The group's confrontational and provocative methods have caused incidents at numerous peace rallies. Steinhauser also led an "infiltration" of a peace rally in San Diego in March of 2005, and protests of Michael Moore in Crawford, Texas and San Diego, California. He brags about making short films of his provocative "infiltrations" and distributes them to other activists.
Steinhauser writes for a blog called "Reagan's Children." The blog includes young conservative writers Ben Shapiro and Hans Zeiger, as well as ISI Membership Director Francisco Gonzalez. Shapiro and Zeiger both have published books and are apparently in the process of writing another.
Steinhauser was employed as the grassroots manager and then director for state and federal campaigns for Dick Armey's advocacy group FreedomWorks in Washington, D.C. This organization claims 800,000 members and works on privatization of social security, tax cuts, deregulation, tort "reform" and spending "restraint." FreedomWorks claims credit for pushing Telecom "reform" through the Texas and Indiana legislatures in 2005 and 2006. Steinhauser quit in the wake of Armey's resignation, and joined the Texas Public Policy Foundation as director of communications for the Right on Crime Initiative.
- Brendan Steinhauser, "Noam Chomsky: Terrorism apologist speaks in Austin", Enter Stage Right, November 18, 2002.
- Brendan Steinhauser, "Subversion in Bush Country", FrontPageMagazine.com, February 11, 2003.
- Brendan Steinhauser, "Cookies Crumble SMU Represses Freedom of Speech: Applying Hypocritical Dual Standards", Austin Review, October 2003 – Volume IV Issue 10.
- The Daily Texan, "Conservative Group Protests Proposed Honor Code: Students Speak Out Against Racial Task Force Recommendations", March 29, 2004
- Brendan Steinhauser, "Operation Moore Lies", In Hoc Signo Vinces, September 28, 2004.
- "New Book by YCT Leader Gives Secrets of Success to Student Activism—Calls for a “Conservative Revolution” Across College Campuses", Media release,
- Brendan Steinhauser, "Students For Academic Freedom Forms on UT-Austin Campus", July 2004.
- Brendan Steinhauser, "Peaceniks Occupy Balboa Park in San Diego - Greet 'Dissenters' with Intimidation", GOPUSA, March 21, 2005.
- Brendan Steinhauser, "Protest Warrior Kicks Leftist Butt in DC: Protest Warrior Crashes Anti-War Rally in DC—Dupes the Leftist", September 25, 2005.
- Brendan Steinhauser, "The battle on campus", December 5, 2005
- Brendan Steinhauser, "Charles Davis Ganske of the Discovery Institute Talks Telecom Reform", Transcript from FreedomWorks Radio on Rightalk.com, December 19, 2005.
- Brendan Steinhauser, "Christian Group Forced to Allow Non-Christians and Homosexuals into their Student Group", Townhall.com, January 2, 2006.
- Alex Brunk, "Christian group denied funding at Cal State", Campus Leadership Program, January 3, 2006.
- Brendan Steinhauser, "Blog postings by author Brendan Steinhauser", Reagan's Children Blog
- Hans Zeiger, "Reagan's Children: Taking on the Blogosphere", Web Commentary, February 23, 2006
- Janie Lorber, "Top FreedomWorks Staffers Depart in Wake of Armey's Resignation" Roll Call, December 4, 2012
- Robert Garrett, "FreedomWorks official who vowed to help topple Straus takes Austin think tank post" The Dallas Morning News Trail Blazers blog, January 2, 2013