Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
Celgene Corporation is a pharmaceutical company based in Summit, New Jersey, U.S. Its main product is Thalomid, used to treat bone marrow cancer as well as a form of leprosy. (Thalomid is a form of the infamous thalidomide sedative which was used in the 1950s until it was realized that it caused birth defects.) Another of Celgene's drugs is Revlimid which is used to treat the malignant blood disease MDS. 
In 2006, sales were nearly US$900 million with profits of US$69 million. 
Support for the American Legislative Exchange Council
Celgene is a corporate member of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) as of 2011. Greg Chesmore, Director of State Government Relations at Celgene, represents Celgene as the ALEC State corporate co-chair of Illinois alongside Sen. Kirk Dillard (R) and Rep. Renée Kosel (R).
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Key executives and 2006 pay: 
- Sol J. Barer, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, $16,084,329 (also exercised $33,719,410 in options)
- Robert J. Hugin, Chief Operating Officer, $7,777,660
- David W. Gryska, Chief Financial Officer, $263,730
- Aart Brouwer, Divisional President, $835,247
Selected members of the Board of Directors: 
- Rodman L. Drake, Also Director of Jackson Hewitt and Student Loan Corporation (Sallie Mae)
- Arthur Hull Hayes, Jr., Former Commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration under Ronald Reagan
- Gilla Kaplan, Professor
86 Morris Avenue
Summit, NJ 07901
Articles & sources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Celgene Profile, Hoovers, accessed January 2008.
- Greg Chesmore, Director of State Government Relations, Celgene Corporation, Email to Leah Vukmir, Wisconsin state legislator and ALEC member, September 24, 2009, open records request email posted on Scribd by Cory Liebmann, March 27, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, "Solutions for the States," 38th Annual Meeting agenda, on file with CMD, August 3-6, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, ALEC State Chairmen, organization website, accessed June 30, 2011
- Celgene lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed January 2008.
- Corporate Governance - Management, Celgene, accessed January 2008.
- Sol J Barer, Forbes, accessed January 2008.
- Robert J Hugin, Forbes, accessed January 2008.
- David W Gryska, Forbes, accessed January 2008.
- Aart Brouwer, Forbes, accessed January 2008.
- Board of Directors, Celgene, accessed January 2008.