Center for Economic and Entrepreneurial Literacy
This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on front groups and corporate spin.
The Center for Economic and Entrepreneurial Literacy (CEEL) is one of lobbyist Rick Berman's many front groups created for his corporate clients.  It is a project of Berman's Employment Policies Institute, according to the Employment Policies Institute's 2011 IRS form 990. It publishes the website Econ4U.com.
CEEL says it wants to teach economics and personal finance to the general public, especially young people. Its website states "Our goal is to teach economics and personal finance using interesting, informative, and real examples. Our economic education program presents facts on personal finance, business economics, entrepreneurship, and government spending in unusual venues such as movie theaters, restaurants, and bowling centers. Take our quizzes to see how much you know, or explore our resources to find out more about consumer loans like mortgages, student loans, short-term payday loans, credit reports, and car loans."
Advertising on Glenn Beck's Program
Since Glenn Beck made his statement calling President Obama a "racist" who has a "deep-seated hatred of white people", 80 advertisers have dropped their ads from Beck's Fox News program. MediaMatters gave a list of his sponsors for the October 8, 2009 program. The Center for Economic and Entrepreneurial Literacy was one of them along with other conservative groups such as:
- The Employment Policies Institute, another front group created by Rick Berman
- The Foundation For a Better Life, funded by Philip F. Anschutz, a conservative oil, media and entertainment figure
- Americans Against Food Taxes, a front group funded by the beverage industry
- National Review, a conservative U.S. magazine
- Various companies such as Rosland Capital and Goldline International, Inc. were also sponsors.
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
Other Berman Front Groups
- AFT Facts
- American Beverage Institute
- Big Green Radicals
- Center for Consumer Freedom
- Center for Economic and Entrepreneurial Literacy
- Center for Organizational Research and Education
- Center for Union Facts
- CREW Exposed
- CSPI Scam
- Defeat the Debt
- Employment Policies Institute
- Enterprise Freedom Action Committee
- EPA Facts
- Green Decoys
- Hands Off My Bacon
- Interlock Facts
- Interstate Policy Alliance
- LEED Exposed
- Maternity Pens
- No Drink Tax
- PETA Kills Animals
- Physician Scam
- Protecting Bad Teachers
- Responsible Limits
- Rethink Reform
- Rotten ACORN
- SEIU Exposed
- Sweet Scam
- Teachers Union Exposed
- The New Prohibition
- Tipped Wage
- Unite Here Exposed
- Vote Our Future
- Daniel Schulman, Dr. Evil's Payday, Mother Jones magazine, September/October, 2009.
- Employment Policies Institute, 2011 IRS 990 Form, 2011 IRS 990 Form, August 2, 2012.
- Center for Economic and Entrepreneurial Literacy, Home page, organizational website, accessed November 2010.
- "So who's still advertising on Beck? October 8 edition", Media Matters, October 8, 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|