Center for Science in the Public Interest
The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is a watchdog group based in Washington, DC. The CSPI advocates for sound science and public policies regarding nutrition, food safety, alchohol and other health and environmental issues. The CSPI Nutrition Action Healthletter has the largest circulation for any health newsletter in North America, with 900,000 subscribers. 
Current work and objectives include:
- "Get junk foods out of schools nationwide".
- "Rid the food supply of partially hydrogenated oil, the source of artificial trans fat that promotes heart disease".
- "Reduce sodium in processed and restaurant foods".
- "Improve food safety laws and reduce the incidence of foodborne illness".
- "Advocate for more healthy, plant-based, environmentally-friendly diets".
- "Ensure accurate and honest labeling on food packages".
- "Require basic nutrition labeling on chain-restaurants’ menus and menu boards".
- "Provide responsible information about the benefits and risks of agricultural biotechnology". 
Food labeling & warning notices for alcohol
CSPI has led legislative efforts requiring nutrition and trans fat labeling on packaged foods, clear definitions and requirements for "organic food" labeling and warning notices for alcoholic beverages. 
- CSPI Nutrition Action Healthletter 
- Six Arguments for a Greener Diet ISBN 0893290491, by founder Michael F. Jacobson, PhD, was published in August of 2006. 
CSPI's annual revenue of $17 million is mostly funded by newsletter subscriptions and individual donors. 5% to 10% of funding comes from private foundation grants. 
Board of directors
- William Corr
- Tom Gegax
- Mark A. Ingram, Treasurer
- Michael F. Jacobson, Secretary
- Kathleen O'Reilly, President
- Sushma Palmer
- William B. Schultz
- James Sullivan
- Deborah Szekely
1875 Connecticut Ave. N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009
Phone: (202) 332-9110
Fax: (202) 265-4954
Email: cspinews AT cspinet.org
Articles & sources
- Processed food industry
- Meat & Dairy industry
- National Cattlemen's Beef Association
- Berman & Co.
- Ralph Nader
- Center for Science in the Public Interest About page, accessed February 2008
- CSPI About page, accessed February 2008
- CPSI About page, accessed February 2008
- CSPI Nutrition Action Health Letter, accessed Sept 2009
- CSPI Six Arguments for a Greener Diet, Eating Green, August 2006
- Funding Sources, Center for Science in the Public Interest, accessed February 2008.
- Board of Directors, Center for Science in the Public Interest, accessed February 2008.
- Brian Colleran Think Before You Eat The Widespread Effects of Factory-Farmed Meat, e-magazine.com, accessed January 2009
<tdo>resource_id=27296 resource_code=science_public_interest search_term=Center for Science in the Public Interest</tdo>