Chhabra Thermal Power Station
Chhabra Thermal Power Station is a 1000-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Rajasthan state, India.
A 1320 MW expansion of the power station is under construction.
Location: Units 1-4
The plant is located at Motipura Chowki village, Chaabra tehsil, Baran district, Rajasthan, India.
Location: Units 5-6
Units 5-6 are located to the north of the existing plant.
The power station is owned and operated by Rajasthan RV Utpadan Nigam (RVUN or RRVUN), a government-owned utility. It began as a 500 MW power station, commissioned in 2009-2010. The power station was later expanded by two 250 MW units (Units 3&4). Unit 3 was commissioned in 2013, and unit 4 in 2014.
Units 5 and 6: Stage III
Two more 660 MW units (Units 5 and 6) have a proposed commissioning schedule during the 12th Plan (2012-17).
On its website (March 2012), the company reported the following details regarding toward Stage III:
- 2163 Bigha land acquired; Section 4 Notification for additional 189 bigha land issued
- 1570 mcft water (300 mcft from Lhasi dam & 1270 mcft from Parwan dam) allocated by WRD
- TOR issued on dated 11.12.09 by MoEF & Public hearing conducted at site on 15.02.10; application for EC submitted to MoEF on dated 28.12.2010
- M/s TCE appointed as project consultant
- Presentation for EC has been made on dated 05.07.2011 at MoEF, New Delhi.
- Case for Long Term Linkage recommended by MoP & forwarded to MoC
- Stage-I forest clearance has been accorded by MoEF to “Parsa East and Kante Basan” coal blocks
- Price bids of EPC tenders opened on 10.01.11 & are under examination; orders are in final stage & to be placed after allocation of coal linkage & issuance of Environmental Clearance
- Commissioning schedule – in 12th Plan
- Constraints –
- Parwan Major Irrigation Project is an interstate project & clearance from MOE&F required. This project to be expedited by WRD on priority
- EC from MoEF pending for want of coal linkage
- EC from MoEF pending for coal block
The project received environmental clearance in 2012.
According to the India government (November 2016), unit 5 was synchronized in October 2016 and planned for operation soon. Unit 6 is planned for 2018.
Sponsor: Rajasthan RV Utpadan Nigam
Location: Chowki-Motipura village, Chhabra tehsil, Baran district, Rajasthan
Coordinates: Units 1-4: 24.62092, 77.035439 (exact); Units 5-6: 24.63433, 77.0385039 (exact)
Status and capacity:
- Unit 1 - 250 MW - Operating (commissioned October 30, 2009)
- Unit 2 - 250 MW - Operating (commissioned May 4, 2010)
- Unit 3 - 250 MW - Operating (commissioned September 14, 2013)
- Unit 4 - 250 MW - Operating (commissioned 30 June 2014)
- Unit 5 - 660 MW - Construction (synchronized)
- Unit 6 - 660 MW - Construction
Type: proposed units 5 & 6: Supercritical
Projected in service: Unit 5: 2017, 2018
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications Units 5 & 6: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, May 23, 2012
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Chhaba Thermal Power Station", Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited, accessed March 2012. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "RRVUN" defined multiple times with different content
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, June 2014
- "Chhabra TTP Unit 5 & 6", Rajasthan RV Utpadan Nigam website, accessed March 2012.
- Chhabra TPP Unit-5 & 6 (2X660 MW ), Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Ltd. website, accessed March 2012
- Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, May 23, 2012
- "MHPS in control systems deal for India supercritical coal plant," PEI, 20/03/2015
- "Ongoing Projects," RRVUN website, accessed September 8, 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, November 2016
- "Chhabra Coal Power Plant", Global Energy Observatory, accessed March 2012.
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, July 2016