Chhabra Thermal Power Station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of India and coal.|
Chhabra Thermal Power Station is an existing 1000-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Rajasthan state, India. A major expansion of the power station has been permitted.
The plant is located at Motipura Chowki village, Chaabra tehsil, Baran district, Rajasthan, India.
Two additional stages of expansion are being planned at the site. The first, consisting of two 250 MW units, is partially completed, with one unit now online. The second would add two units of 660 MW each. The power station is owned and operated by Rajasthan RV Utpadan Nigam (RVUN or RRVUN), a government owned utility. 2x660 MW units 5 and 6 have a proposed commissioning schedule during the 12th Plan (2012-17). The company's website states that the TOR for the project was issued on December 11, 2009, Stage I forest clearance was given by MoEF (Ministry of Environment and Forests), and a presentation for environmental clearance was delivered on August 5, 2011. However, the project is still awaiting the MoEF's environmental clearance decision.
Progress toward Units 5 and 6 (Stage III)
The company reports the following progress toward Stage III:
- 2163 Bigha land acquired; Section 4 Notification for additional 189 bigha land issued
- 1570 mcft water (300 mcft from Lhasi dam & 1270 mcft from Parwan dam) allocated by WRD
- TOR issued on dated 11.12.09 by MoEF & Public hearing conducted at site on 15.02.10; application for EC submitted to MoEF on dated 28.12.2010
- M/s TCE appointed as project consultant
- Presentation for EC has been made on dated 05.07.2011 at MoEF, New Delhi.
- Case for Long Term Linkage recommended by MoP & forwarded to MoC
- Stage-I forest clearance has been accorded by MoEF to “Parsa East and Kante Basan” coal blocks
- Price bids of EPC tenders opened on 10.01.11 & are under examination; orders are in final stage & to be placed after allocation of coal linkage & issuance of Environmental Clearance
- Commissioning schedule – in 12th Plan
- Constraints –
- Parwan Major Irrigation Project is an interstate project & clearance from MOE&F required. This project to be expedited by WRD on priority
- EC from MoEF pending for want of coal linkage
- EC from MoEF pending for coal block
Project Details for Units 1 and 2 (500 MW); Units 3 and 4 (1320 MW); and Units 5 and 6 (1320 MW)
- Unit 1 - 250 MW - commissioned October 30, 2009
- Unit 2 - 250 MW - Operating (commissioned May 4, 2010)
- Unit 3 - 250 MW - Operating (commissioned September 14, 2013)
- Unit 4 - 250 MW - Operating (commissioned 30 June 2014)
- Unit 5 - 660 MW - permitted
- Unit 6 - 660 MW - permitted
Type: proposed units 5 & 6: Supercritical
Projected in service: Unit 5: 2016; Unit 6: 2018
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications Units 5 & 6: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, May 23, 2012
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Chhaba Thermal Power Station", Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited, accessed March 2012.
- "Chhabra TTP Unit 5 & 6", Rajasthan RV Utpadan Nigam website, accessed March 2012.
- Chhabra TPP Unit-5 & 6 (2X660 MW ), Rajasthan Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Ltd. website, accessed March 2012
- "Chhabra Coal Power Plant", Global Energy Observatory, accessed March 2012.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, June 2014
- "Ongoing Projects," RRVUN website, accessed August 2014