|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
Chris L. Kapenga is a Republican member of the Wisconsin State Assembly, who previously represented the 33rd Assembly District, and represents the 99th Assembly District since the November 2012 election.
In the 2012 election, Kapenga vied for the recently vacated 33rd Senate District, losing the primary on November 6, 2012 to Rep. Paul Farrow. Kapenga was reelected to the Assembly (in a new seat after redistricting) on November 6, 2012.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
Representative Kapenga is a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and is a legislative member of ALEC's Civil Justice Task Force. In 2010, Rep. Kapenga accepted a $500 donation from ALEC member corporation Alliant Energy.
. In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Rep. Kapenga co-authored 3 bills that reflect ALEC models, according to an analysis by the Center for Media and Democracy.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Support for ALEC bills
2011 Regular Session - Bills sponsored and co-sponsored:
- Sponsored AB 6 (Capital Gains) - phases out taxation of capital gains; compare to ALEC model legislation "Capital Gains Tax Elimination Act" (pdf)
- Sponsored AB 7 (Voter ID) - compare to ALEC model legislation Voter ID Act(pdf)
- Co-sponsored SB 10 (Capital Gains) - See AB 6
- Co-sponsored SB 6 (Voter ID) - see AB 7 (Voter ID) - Compare to ALEC's Voter ID Act
Bills voted for:
- AB 40 (2011-2013 Biennial Budget) - compare to ALEC's Title Pledge Act (pdf), ALEC's Public Employees Portable Retirement (PRO) Act (pdf), ALEC's Alternative Methods of Court Appearances Act (pdf) and ALEC's Anti-Crime (Secured Release) Act(pdf)
- AB 7 (Voter ID) - Compare to ALEC's Voter ID Act
- AB 11 (Budget Repair Bill) - compare to ALEC's Public Employee Freedom Act (pdf) and ALEC's model Public Employer Payroll Deduction Policy Act(pdf)
January 2011 Special Session
- AB 5 (Supermajority) - requires a supermajority to pass tax increases. Compares to ALEC's model Super-Majority Act(pdf)
Room 19 North
P.O. Box 8953
Madison, WI 53708
N9W31035 Concord Ct.
Delafield, WI 53018
Telephone: (608) 266-3007 Or (888) 529-0033
Fax: (608) 282-3633