|This is a profile of a U.S. Representative. (See the Connecticut portal for all incumbents, candidates and blogs.)|
Record and controversies
For more information on environmental legislation, see the Energy and Environment Policy Portal
Murphy grew up in Connecticut, and attended Williams College in Massachusetts before earning his Juris Doctor from the University of Connecticut. He then went to work as an attorney.
Murphy began his political career as the campaign manager for Charlotte Koskoff’s near upset of Nancy Johnson in 1996. From 1997 to 1998 he worked for State Senate Majority Leader George Jepsen. In 1998, he unseated a fourteen year incumbent to be elected to the Connecticut State House of Representatives, where he served two terms. In 2002, he was elected to the Connecticut State Senate, where he rose to the position of assistant majority leader.
|This information was gathered by volunteer researchers as part of the Superdelegate Transparency Project on the superdelegates for the 2008 Democratic presidential primary. For more info see the Connecticut superdelegate tracker or visit the STP homepage.|
Money in politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases. <crpcontribdata>cid=N00027566&cycle=2006</crpcontribdata>
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Chris Murphy
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
- Revolving door profile for Chris Murphy from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- 2006 privately funded travel profile for Chris Murphy from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- Personal finance profile for Chris Murphy from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
Committees and Affiliations
- House Committee on Financial Services
- Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance, and Government Sponsored Enterprises
- Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity
- House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
- Subcommittee on Domestic Policy
- Subcommittee on Government Management, Organization, and Procurement
More Background Data
New Britain Office:
1 Grove St.
New Britain, CT 06053
Phone: (860) 223-8412
Fax: (860) 827-9009
Articles and resources
- Chris Murphy for Congress, official campaign site.
Local blogs and discussion sites
|Current Office: U.S. House of Representatives|
Ranking Member On:
Ranking Member On:
|Committees: House Committee on Financial Services, House Committee on Financial Services/Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity, House Committee on Financial Services/Subcommittee on Capital Markets Insurance and Government Sponsored Enterprises, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform/Subcommittee on Domestic Policy, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform/Subcommittee on Government Management Organization and Procurement|
|First Elected to Current Office:
November 7, 2006
|First Took Current Office:
January 4, 2007
November 2, 2010
|Previous Political Work?
Connecticut Senate, Connecticut House of Represenatives, Southington Planning and Zoning Commission,
|Other Party Membership:|
|Zip Code Affiliations:|
Date of Birth: August 3, 1973