Clean, Responsible Energy for Wisconsin's Economy
This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's focus on the fallout of nuclear "spin."
Clean, Responsible Energy for Wisconsin's Economy (CREWE) is a business coalition formed in 2009 to "advocate meaningful energy policy change," according to its website. CREWE supports the recommendations made in 2008 by Governor Jim Doyle's Governor’s Global Warming Task Force.  The task force recommendations include amending the state's moratorium on nuclear power, while continuing to place conditions on the construction of new nuclear power plants in the state. 
According to a news release from Putnam Roby Williamson Communications, CREWE will work closely with the task force for "policies that effectively and responsibly address global warming and capture the economic development and environmental opportunities in Wisconsin, said CREWE Board Chairman Dan Ebert." 
"CREWE is expected to be at odds with other business groups that have opposed the task force's recommendations last year and are expected to oppose a climate bill," reported the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "Those groups include Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce, the Wisconsin Paper Council and the Wisconsin Industrial Energy Group. The groups are concerned about the impact on energy costs from a global warming bill, and have raised concerns about whether a state bill is needed given action on climate legislation that's expected to take place in Congress." 
From the CREWE website: 
- Wisconsin Energy Corporation
- Madison Gas & Electric
- Orion Energy Systems
- American Transmission Company
- Johnson Controls
- Forest County Potawatomi Community
- WPPI Energy
- C5•6 Technologies
- Emerging Energies of Wisconsin
- Alliant Energy
- Xcel Energy
Personnel and consultants
- Dan Ebert - CREWE chair and former chairman of the Wisconsin Public Service Commission
- Thad Nation - Executive Director, founder of Nation Consulting and former spokesperson for Governor Jim Doyle
- Putnam Roby Williamson Communications
- Peter Kammer - lobbyist 
CREWE's website address was registered on November 17, 2008, by "PRW," presumably referring to the Putnam Roby Williamson Communications firm. 
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Homepage," CREWE website, accessed March 2009.
- "Recommendations of the Governor's Task Force on Global Warming (pdf)," Wisconsin Legislative Council information memorandum, September 2008.
- Press release, "Business Group Forms to Promote Governor’s Global Warming Task Force Proposals," Putnam Roby Williamson Communications for CREWE, January 22, 2009.
- Thomas Content, Nation to lead group backing climate bill, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, February 11, 2009.
- "Index to financial relationships: Clean, Responsible Energy for Wisconsin's Economy," Wisconsin Government Accountability Board website, accessed March 2009.
- Thomas Content, Businesses form energy group, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, January 21, 2009.
- "Lobbyists: Clean, Responsible Energy for Wisconsin's Economy," Wisconsin Government Accountability Board website, accessed March 2009.
- "WHOIS search: wicrewe.com," NetworkSolutions.com, accessed March 2009.
- Thomas Content, "Businesses form energy group," Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, January 21, 2009.
- Thomas Content, "Nation to lead group backing climate bill," Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, February 11, 2009.
- Thomas Content, "Clean energy's growth curve slows in '09," Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, March 10, 2009.
- Thomas Content, "New reactors too costly, groups tell state," Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, May 21, 2009.
- Thomas Content, "Nuclear plant foes prepare for fight: Groups rail at lobbying to change moratorium," Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, May 22, 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|