Cora (Rockwood) Terminal
Cora (Rockwood) Terminal is a terminal used for coal and coke located in Rockwood, Illinois. It is owned by Kinder Morgan Energy Partners. The terminal has an annual throughput capacity of 11 million tonnes, and storage of nearly one million tonnes. Rail service is carried out by Union Pacific.
- Operator: Kinder Morgan Energy Partners
- Location: Rockwood, Illinois
- Capacity (Million tonnes per annum): 11
- Status: Operating
- Type: Exports
Sightline Institute reports "track record of pollution, lawbreaking, and cover-ups" at Kinder Morgan facilities
An April 2012 report by the environmental think tank Sightline Institute, "The Facts about Kinder Morgan," , lists a series of legal violations and pollution incidents at various Kinder Morgan terminals. The report includes the following:
- "In Louisiana, Kinder Morgan’s coal export facilities are so dirty that satellite photos clearly show coal dust pollution spewing into the Mississippi River."
- "In South Carolina, coal dust from Kinder Morgan’s terminal contaminates oysters, pilings, and boats. Locals have even caught the company on video washing coal directly into sensitive waterways."
- "In Virginia, Kinder Morgan’s coal export terminal is an open sore on the neighborhood, coating nearby homes in dust so frequently that even the mayor is speaking out about the problem."
- "In Portland, Kinder Morgan officials bribed a ship captain to illegally dump contaminated material at sea, and their operations have repeatedly polluted the Willamette River."
- "Kinder Morgan has been fined by the US government for stealing coal from customer’s stockpiles, lying to air pollution regulators, illegally mixing hazardous waste into gasoline, and many other crimes."
- "Kinder Morgan’s pipelines are plagued by leaks and explosions, including two large dangerous spills in residential neighborhoods in British Columbia."
Articles and resources
- "Kinder Morgan" Kinder Morgan Website, accessed May 19, 2012.
- "Cora Terminal," Union Pacific, accessed May 2015
- Daniel Cusick,"Peabody to boost exports from Gulf Coast as Pacific Northwest terminal plans stall," ClimateWire, July 18, 2012.
- Eric de Place, "The Facts about Kinder Morgan," Sightline Institute, April 2012