Council for Agricultural Science and Technology
This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on front groups and corporate spin.
The Council for Agricultural Science and Technology (CAST) is a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) non-profit group.
On its website, the group states that its "primary work" is the "publication of task force reports, commentary papers and issue papers written by scientists from many disciplines" on "issues of animal sciences, food sciences and agricultural technology, plant and soil sciences, and plant protection sciences". CAST is restructuring its Board of Directors to include member companies and NGOs and adopting a Code of Ethics to insulate its publications from undue influence.
|Documents Contained at the Anti-Environmental Archives|
Documents written by or referencing this person or organization are contained in the Anti-Environmental Archive, launched by Greenpeace on Earth Day, 2015. The archive contains 3,500 documents, some 27,000 pages, covering 350 organizations and individuals. The current archive includes mainly documents collected in the late 1980s through the early 2000s by The Clearinghouse on Environmental Advocacy and Research (CLEAR), an organization that tracked the rise of the so called "Wise Use" movement in the 1990s during the Clinton presidency. Access the index to the Anti-Environmental Archives here.
As of October 2010:
- American Academy of Veterinary & Comp. Toxicology
- American Association of Avian Pathologists
- American Association of Pesticide Safety Educators
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Comm on Ag Mana
- American Board of Veterinary Toxicology
- American Dairy Science Association
- American Forage and Grassland Council
- American Meat Science Association
- American Meteorological Society
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
- American Society of Agronomy
- American Society of Animal Science
- American Society of Plant Biologists
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Aquatic Plant Management Society
- Council of Entomology Department Administrators
- North Central Weed Science Society
- Northeastern Weed Science Society
- Poultry Science Association
- Society for In Vitro Biology
- Society of Nematologists
- Weed Science Society of America
- Western Society of Weed Science
Awards given to individuals by CAST:
- Akin Adesina, 2010
- Richard W. Skaggs, 2009
- Pedro A. Sanchez, 2008
- David H. Baker, 2007
- Stanley R. Johnson, 2006
- Norman E. Borlaug, 2005
- Marjorie A. Hoy, 2004
- Kong Luen Heong, 2003
- Calvin O. Qualset, 2002
- Judith S. Stern, 2001
- Dennis R. Keeney, 2000
- Abner W. Womack, 1999
- Per Pinstrup-Andersen, 1998
- Neil E. Harl, 1997
- Luther G. Tweeten, 1996
- Dale E. Bauman, 1995
- F. J. Francis, 1994
- Fergus M. Clydesdale, 1993
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- "About CAST", accessed April 2008.
- CAST member societies], accessed October 2010.
- CAST communication award list, accessed October 2010.