David M. Powers
Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
David Powers is the Vice President of State Government Relations at Reynolds American Inc, He was Regional Director of State Government Relations in RJR's Region IV, circa 1996. Region IV included California, Alaska, Oklahoma and Texas. He was a registered lobbyist for R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company from 2001-2003 in New York City.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
Powers is also the Treasurer of the corporate ("Private Enterprise") board of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the corporate co-chair of ALEC's International Relations Task Force as of 2011.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- ↑ "David Powers elected to board of governors for the University of North Carolina." Company press release, April 13, 2011
- ↑ R.J. Reynolds, Performance Record: David M. Powers, Regional Director, internal Performance Objectives Review document available in Tobacco Library, January 9, 1996
- ↑ "David Powers.", NYC Lobbyist Search site, accessed June 2, 2001
- ↑ "Private Enterprise Board." American Legislative Exchange Council. ALEC.org. Accessed July 8, 2011.
- ↑ International Relations," organization website, accessed June 29, 2011
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|Search the Documents Archives of the Tobacco Industry|
|Legacy Tobacco Documents Library:|