Earthjustice was founded in 1971 as the Sierra Club Legal Defense Fund. In 1997, the group changed its name to Earthjustice to better reflect its purpose of acting as legal advocate for the environment.
Earthjustice is a non-profit public interest law firm "dedicated to protecting magnificent places, natural resources, and wildlife of this earth, and to defending the right of all people to a healthy environment." The group focuses on enforcing and strengthening environmental laws on behalf of hundreds of organizations, coalitions, and communities.
- President - Donnell Van Noppen
Targeted coal plant proposals
Accessed December 2013: 
- Reginald K. Brack, Susan Britton, Peter Carson, David Cox, Steve Daetz , Tony DeFalco , Carmen Gonzalez, Chris Killingsworth , David Klipstein, George Martin , William Newsom, Dan Olincy , Brad Parker, Marcia Riklis, Betty Schafer, Fern Shepard , Patrice Lumumba Simms, Michael Sonnenfeldt , Dianne Stern, Elizabeth Sutherland, Kevin Toner, Stephen Unfried, Tseming Yang
Earthjustice Board 2007/2008
Accessed September 2008: 
- Albert Andrews, Jr. - Principal, Gray, Plant, Mooty, And Bennett
- Reginald K. Brack, Jr. - Chairman And Ceo, Time, Inc. (Retired)
- Peter Carson - Principal, Bingham Mccutcheon Llp
- David Cox - President And Ceo, Cowles Media Company (Retired)
- Russell Daggatt - Investor/Consultant
- Bruce Duthu - Professor Of Law & Program Director, Vermont Law School-Sun Yat-Sen University
- Susan Fisher - Attorney (Retired)
- Louise Gund - Philanthropist
- David Klipstein - Executive Vice President & Ceo, Reaction Design
- Martha Kongsgaard - Attorney And Philanthropist, Kongsgaard-Goldman Foundation
- Ed Lewis - Attorney And Non-Profit Consultant
- Lisa Eggert Litvin - Attorney
- George Martin - Attorney
- Fred J. Meyer - Business Consultant/Cfo, Omnicom (Retired)
- William A. Newsom - Associate Justice, California Court Of Appeals (Retired)
- Dan Olincy - Attorney
- Brad Parker - Businessman
- William Pope - Owner, Mazama Country Inn, Nw Regional Director, Wilderness Land Trust
- Marcia Riklis - New York, Ny
- Dianne Stern - Freelance Writer
- Elizabeth Sutherland Riney - Conservationist
- Stephen M. Unfried - Conservationist, Investment Banker, Credit Suisse First Boston (Retired)
- Doug Varley - Attorney
- Marc Whitehead - Attorney
Locations: Headquarters in Oakland, CA; regional offices around the U.S.
Group website: Earthjustice
Contact: info [at] earthjustice.org
- "About Us", Earthjustice website, accessed February 2008.
- Earth Justice Trustees, organizational web page, accessed December 21, 2013.
- Directors, Earthjustice, accessed September 17, 2008.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Citizen groups working on coal issues
- Global warming
- Victor M. Sher - former president
- Durwood J. Zaelke
- Rick Taketa
- Alice Thomas
- Cara Pike
- Massachusetts v. Environmental Protection Agency
- Lisa Renstrom
- Global Alliance for Rights of Nature