El Segundo mine
El Segundo mine, a coal mine that was owned by Peabody Energy, is located adjacent to the Lee Ranch mine in northwest New Mexico. The new mine is expected to produce 6 million tons of coal annually and serves a 19-year, 65 million ton supply agreement with Arizona Public Service Company’s Cholla Power Plant near Joseph City, Arizona.
In November 2015 Bowie Resources agreed to pay US$358 million to Peabody Energy for the Twentymile Mine outside Steamboat Springs and the El Segundo mine and Lee Ranch mine in New Mexico. Bowie also will assume about $105 million in related liabilities under the sale.
- Owner: Bowie Resources
- Location: north of Grants, New Mexico
- GPS coordinates: 35.10 N, 107.51 W
- Annual Production: 6 million tons
- Type of coal:
- Mine type: surface (open pit)
- Number of employees: 100
- "Peabody Energy commissions first new coal mine in New Mexico in 20 years", High Beam Research, August 2008.
- Dennis Webb, "Struggling Bowie buys three mines in 2 states ," Sentinel, November 24, 2015
Related SourceWatch articles
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- New Mexico and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Peabody Western Coal Company Southwest Operations, Peabody Energy website