F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer
F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, M.D. is a Professor of Medicine at Columbia University's Institute of Human Nutrition. He chaired the expert panel that published the Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults in 1998, a report was controversial because it re-classified many "normal weight" Americans as "overweight."
Conflicts of Interest
In 1995, when he was appointed to chair the NIH panel that re-classified many Americans as "overweight," he was also the Executive Director of the Weight Watchers Foundation. In 1997, he joined the Board of Directors of the Weight Watchers Foundation - one year prior to the publication of the NIH report he chaired that lowered the weights at which Americans were considered overweight.
Critics point to his further conflict of interest, noting that "he is also on the advisory board or is a paid consultant to several diet and pharmaceutical companies, including Wyeth-Ayerst labs (makers of the fen-phen diet drug that ended up causing heart valve damage), Knoll, Eli-Lilly Pharmaceuticals, Genentech, Hoffman-La Roche, Neurogen, and Weight Watchers International. Pi-Sunyer has been the highly paid principal investigator on recent clinical trials of the drug Rimonabant made by Sanofi-Aventis. Indeed, Pi-Sunyer has been named in a lawsuit against the drug company Wyeth-Ayerst because he agreed to have his name attributed to scientific articles about the cost of obesity that were actually written by Excerpta Medica, a medical consulting firm, and paid for by Wyeth-Ayerst."
Pi-Sunyer was born in Barcelona Spain on December 3, 1933.
- 1951-1955: Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio: B.A.
- 1955-1959: College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York: M.D.
- 1962-1963: Harvard University School of Public Health, Cambridge, Mass.: M.P.H.
- 1959-1960: Intern and Asst. Resident in Medicine, St. Luke's Hospital Center., New York, N.Y.
- 1961-1962: Junior Registrar in Medicine, Medical Professorial Unit, St.Bartholomew's Hospital and Medical School, London,England
- 1963-1964: Research Fellow, Harvard School of Public Health-Visiting Lecturer in Medicine and Preventive Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- 1964-1965: Fellow in Medicine, Thorndike Memorial Laboratory, Harvard University; Endocrine-Metabolism Resident, Boston City Hosp., Boston, MA
- 1965-1966: Norman Jolliffe Fellow in Clinical Nutrition, Institute of Human Nutrition, Columbia University, New York, NY
- 1966-1968: Fellow of the New York Heart Association
- 1965-1967: Assistant to Director of Medicine, St.Luke's Hospital Center, New York, NY
- 1965-1970: Assistant Attending Physician, St. Luke's Hospital, NY
- 1970-1975: Associate Attending Physician, St. Luke's Hospital, NY
- 1971-1982: Chief, Diabetes Clinic, St. Luke's Hospital, NY
- 1972-1977: Chief, Metabolism Section, St. Luke's Hospital,NY
- 1975- : Attending Physician, St.Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY
- 1977-1987: Chief, Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, St.Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
- 1977- : Fellowship Program Director, Endocrinology, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
- 1978-1985: Associate Attending Physician, Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY
- 1981-1987: Associate Director, Obesity Research Center, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
- 1983-1986: Associate Director, Medical Service, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
- 1984- : Visiting Physician, Rockefeller University Hospital, New York, NY
- 1985- : Attending Physician, Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY
- 1988- : Chief, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, St.Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
- 1988- : Director, Obesity Research Center,St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, NY
- 1991- Co-Director, Center for Research in Clinical Nutrition, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
- 1993- : Director, Joslin Center for Diabetes, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
- 1993- : Director, VanItallie Center for Weight Loss and Maintenance
- 1993- : Affiliate Staff, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, MA
- 1965- : Faculty Member, Institute of Human Nutrition, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
- 1965-1968: Instructor in Medicine, Columbia University, College of P&S
- 1968-1970: Associate in Medicine, Columbia University
- 1970-1976: Assistant Professor of Medicine, Columbia University, College of P&S
- 1976-1978: Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine,Columbia University, College of P&S 1978-1985 Associate Professor of Medicine, Columbia University, College of P&S
- 1975-1985: Member, Executive Committee,Center for Nutrition, Genetics and Human Development, Columbia University, College of P&S
- 1977- : Member, Executive Committee, Obesity Research Center, St.Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
- 1978- : Associate,University Seminar on Appetitive Behavior, Columbia University
- 1985- : Member, Executive Committee, Dept. of Medicine, Columbia University
- 1985-1991: Professor of Clinical Medicine, Columbia University
- 1990- : Adjunct Faculty, Rockefeller University
- 1990- : Professor of Applied Physiology, Columbia University Teachers College
- 1991- : Professor of Medicine, Columbia University. College of Physicians and Surgeons
- 1987: Howard Heinz Visiting Professor of Nutrition, Medical College of Pennsylvania (11/87)
- 1990: National Dairy Council Visiting Professor, Creighton Medical School, Omaha, NE
- 1996: Pfizer Visiting Professor - Boston University/Tufts Medical Schools, Boston, MA
- 1997: University of Oregon Health Sciences Center, Portland, OR
- 1997: University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA
- 1997: East Virginia University School of Medicine, Norfolk, VA
- 1997: University of Tennessee School od Medicine, Memphis, TN
- 1997: University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY
- 1997: Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN
- 1997: Tung Hai University, Neijing, China
- 1997: Beijing University for the Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
- 1998: Pfizer Visiting Professor - University of Maryland
Societies and Honors
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (1970- )
- American Diabetes Association (1967- )
- New York Diabetes Association (1967- )
- American Federation for Medical Research (1968- )
- American Board of Nutrition (1970- )
- American Society of Nutritional Sciences (1970- )
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition (1970- )
- Endocrine Society (1973- )
- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine (1975- )
- Harvey Society (1975- )
- New York Academy of Medicine (1981- )
- North American Association for the Study of Obesity (1983- )
- Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior (1986- )
- American Clinical and Climatological Association (1991- )
- New York Academy of Sciences (1997- )
- 1963-1964: Fellow, U.S. Public Health Service
- 1966-1968: Fellow, New York Heart Association
- 1968-1973: Senior Investigator, New York Heart Association
- 1979-1980: Fogarty International Fellow, National Institutes of Health
- 1979-1980: Visiting Scientist, U.K. Medical Research Council Clinical Research Center, Harrow, England
- 1982-1990: Hsien Wu Investigator in Clinical Nutrition, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center and Columbia University
- 1982-1986: Committee on Research (National Grants Research Review Committee), American Diabetes Assn. (Vice-Chairman 1983-85, Chairman, 1985-86).
- 1983-1987: Nutrition Study Section, National Institutes of Health
- 1983-1985: National Faculty, American Diabetes Assn., Clinical Education Program forType II Diabetes Mellitus
- 1986- : Member, State of New York Health Research Council
- 1989-1990: National Faculty, American Diabetes Assoc., Clinical Education Program for Diabetes Mellitus
- 1989: Sigma Xi Lecturer, Pennsylvania State University (4/89)
- 1989-1990: President, American Society for Clinical Nutrition
- 1989-1990: Nutritional Sciences Research and Training Advisory Board, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Disease, (NIDDK), National Institutes of Health
- 1990-1992: Vice President and President-elect, American Diabetes Assn
- 1992-1993: President, American Diabetes Association
- 1991- : NIDDK Task Force on The Prevention and Treatment of Obesity, member.
- 1993-1994: Vice President, North American Association for the Study of Obesity
- 1994-1995: President, North American Association for the Study of Obesity
- 1995- : Chairman, NHLBI Task Force on the Treatment of Obesity
- 1997- : D.W. Lukens Award and Lecturer, American Diabetes Association, Philadelphia, PA
- 2010: Weight Watchers Foundation's "W. Henry Sebrell, Jr. Award."
Extramural Assignments, Editorships, Foundations, Etc.
Pi-Sunyer's C.V. lists extramural assignments as follows:
- American Diabetes Association (National)
- Committee on Affiliate Associations 1976-79
- Committee on Research (National Grants Research Review Committee) (1982-1986); Chairman (1985-86)
- National Research Policy Committee, Chairman 1985-86
- Task Force on Professional Section Councils (1985-1986)
- Board of Directors (1985-1988); (1990-1994)
- Committee on Scientific & Medical Programs(1986-1988)
- Panelist, ADA Consensus Development Conference, Dallas, Dec. 12-14, 1988
- Committee on Planning & Organization (1988-1990)
- Task Force on Resource Allocation (1988-1989)
- Annual Meeting Review Committee (1989-1990)
- Vice-President (1990-1991)
- President-elect (1991-1992)
- President (1992-1993)
- American Diabetes Assn. Clinical Society (New York Downstate Affiliate)
- Sec'y Treas. (1971-72); Vice Chairman,(1973-74); Chairman,(1974-75)
- Symposium Committee, 1974), Chairman (1974-75.)
- Research Committee (1969-1981), Chairman (1969-1971)
- American Diabetes Assn. (New York Downstate Affiliate)
- Board of Directors, (1970- 1994)
- Executive Committee (1974-1984)
- Vice President, (1978-80)
- President, (1981-1982)
- New York Academy of Medicine
- Subcommittee on Nutrition (198l-1989); Program Planning Comm., Workshop on Clinical Nutrition (1981-1982);
- Faculty Advisory Committee of NY-NJ Regional Center for Clinical Nutrition Education (1982-present); Committee on Public Health (1983-1992);
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition
- National Liason Comm. (1977-1982);
- Comm.on Continuing Medical Education (1983-1985); Chairman (1987-1988);
- Council (1987-1990);
- Vice-President (1987-1989);
- President (1989-1990);
- Chairman, Long Range Planning Comm. (1990-1994).
- American Board of Nutrition
- Director (1983-1988); (1994-1997)
- Vice-President (1987-1988).
- American Institute of Nutrition
- AIN Healthy Weights Steering Committee, 1993.
- New York Heart Association
- Chairman, Committee on Diet,(1977-1979;1984-89); Council on Public Education, (1977-1979).
- New York Food and Nutrition Council
- President, (1977-1979).
- North American Association for the Study of Obesity
- Executive Council (1991- )
- Representative to International Assn. for the Study of Obesity (1991- )
- Vice-President (1992- 1994)
- President (1994-1995)
- Chairman, Nominating Committee (1996 )
- Editor-in-Chief of Journal: Obesity Research (1997- )
- International Association for the Study of Obesity
- Membership Committee (1994- )
- Food and Nutrition Board, National Academy of Sciences
- Task Force on Opportunities in Nutrition and the Food Sciences (1992-1993)
- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine Council (1996-2000)
- Councillor (1996-2000)
- Obesity Research, Associate Editor (1992-1997)
- International Journal of Obesity, Associate Editor (1994- )
- Obesity Research, Editor-in-Chief (1997- )
- Editorial Boards
- American Diabetes Association Journal "Forecast"(1979-1986);
- Cardiovascular Reviews and Reports, (1982-1987);
- Weight Control Digest (1997- ).
- Journal Referee
- Diabetes (1971- ); Human Ecology (1972- ); J.Clin. Invest. (1975- );
- Am. J. Physiology (1977- ); Diabetes (1972- ); Int. J. of Obesity (1977- );
- Am. J. Clin. Nutrit. (1977- ); J. Exptal Biology and Medicine (1977- );
- Lipids (1980- ); Physiology and Behavior (1981- ); Metabolism (1981- );
- J. Clin. Endocrinology & Metabolism (1981- );
- Science (1984 - ); Annals Internal Medicine (1985 - ); Appetite (1985- );
- Diabetes Care (1988- );New England J. Med. (1990- ); Obesity Research (1992- );
- Atherosclerosis (1994- ): Am J Public Health (1992- ).
- Kroc Foundation: Ad Hoc Reviewer of Grants, (1981,1982).
- American Health Foundation
- Chairman, Clinical Nutrition Research Review Committee (1984-1992).
- Metpath Foundation: Board of Directors (1991-1995)
- Weight Watchers Foundation:
- Assistant Executive Director (1985-1991)
- Executive Director (1991- 1995)
- Member of the Board of Directors (1997- )
- Weight Risk Investigation Study Council
- Chairman, Review Committee (1997 - )
- N.Y.State Health Research Council
- Diabetes Grants Review Committee, Co-chairman (1985-present);
- NY State Health Research Council, member (1986-present).
- Expert Witness, U.S. Postal Service, Division of Consumer Fraud, Washington, DC (1985- ).
- Expert Witness, Food and Drug Administration, Washington, DC (1995)
- U.S. Dept. Agriculture: Human Nutrition Grants Program, Ad Hoc Reviewer, (1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1993).
- National Institutes of Health
- NIH Study Sections
- Special Study Section (June 9-10,1982) Parenteral Nutrition, NIAMMD;
- Special Study Section (July 26-27, 1982), Preventive Cardiology, NHLBI;
- Study Section (Jan. 24-26, 1983), National Research Services Awards for Institutional Training Grants, NHLBI;
- NHLBI Clinical Trials Review Comm. (Nov.30 - Dec. 1, 1983);
- NHLBI Clinical Trials Review (Nov. 26-27, 1984).
- NIH Site Visit Review Group, General Clinical Research Ctr (1/6-1/7,1988);
- General Medicine A-2 Review Comm for Clinical Nutrition Research Centers (Chairman,4/18-4/19/88) (Chairman 7/23-7/25/89);
- NIH Site Visit Review General Clinical Research Center (4/18-4/19/1991);
- Nutrition Study Section (1983-1987); ad hoc reviewer (1988-1990);
- Metabolism Study Section (1987-1988) ad hoc reviewer;
- Study Section DDK-C (1988-1992) (training grants);
- General Medicine A-2 Review Comm for Obesity/Nutrition Research Centers, Special Review Comm, Chairman (7/92)
- NIH Mental Health: Health Behavior and Prevention Review Comm., (5/92), ad hoc reviewer;
- National Cancer Institute Review Committee for Clinical Nutrition Research Units, Chairman, 10/93
- NIH Site Visit Review General Clinical Research Center (4/10 - 4/11/1996)
- Special Study Section ( )-Obesity
- NIH Study Sections
- NIH, other activities
- Planning Committee, NIH Consensus Development Conference on Diet and Exercise in Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (1986);
- Member, Advisory Work Group on Issues in Nutrition Research Training, NIDDK (1989-1990);
- NIH Institute of Arthritis, Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases National Task Force on Prevention and Treatment of Obesity (1991- );
- Scientific Advisory Board, NIH Clinical Nutrition Research Unit, Memorial-Sloan Kettering Institute, New York, NY (1989- )
- Scientific Advisory Board, NIH Clinical Nutrition Research Unit, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN (1991-1995);
- Scientific Advisory Board, NIH Nutrition/Obesity Research Unit, Tufts/Harvard/Boston U, Boston, MA (1992- );
- NHLBI Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity, Chairman (1995-present)
- Other Organizations
- Expert Witness, U.S. Senate Labor and Human Resources Committee, Hearing on Artificial Sweeteners, (1987).
- Consultant and Expert Witness, Federal Trade Commission,(1989- ).
- International Advisory Committee, Metabolic Research and Treatment Institute, Good Samaritan Hospital, Palm Beach, Fla. (1987-1991).
- Scientific Advisory Board, Weight Cycling Project, University of Pennsylvania (1989-1990)
- Expert Consultant, Consumer Reports on Health (1990- )
- Fifth International Congress on Obesity, Executive Committee, August 20-25, 1994. Toronto, Canada
- International Obesity Task Force, World Health Organization (1996- )
- Advisory Committee, Improving Child and Adolescent Health Through Physical Activity and Nutrition, International Life Science Institute and National Foundation for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (1996- ).
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults
- ↑ Pi-Sunyer, Accessed January 12, 2013.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Dr. F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer C.V., Accessed January 12, 2013.
- ↑ J. Eric Oliver, Fat Politics: The Real Story Behind America's Obesity Epidemic, New York, Oxford University Press, 2006, p. 30.
- ↑ Continuum Health Partners, Accessed January 12, 2013.
- Co-Director F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, MD, The New York Obesity Nutrition Research Center], St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center.
- Dr. Xavier Pi-Sunyer
- Alicia Chang, "Potato Chips are Piling on the Pounds, Study Finds," Washington Times, June 22, 2011.