Families Organized to Represent the Coal Economy
This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on front groups and corporate spin.
Families Organized to Represent the Coal Economy (FORCE) states that it "represents the vast number of owners, employees, and families that experience job and business opportunities because of Pennsylvania's coal industry."
An earlier version of FORCE's website claimed that that group is "a grassroots organization whose mission is to be a forceful voice for all those in Pennsylvania whose livelihoods depend upon coal."
FORCE states that its purpose is to "give supporters of coal a voice" and to "support and retain coal related jobs in Pennsylvania".
While previously describing itself as a "grassroots" organization, membership is only open to companies not individuals. "Membership is through coal and coal related company sponsorship.When a company joins it agrees to distribute FORCE materials and information to its member employees. This distribution network helps FORCE maintain a low overhead while supplying high quality service to its members," it stated on its website in June 2007.
"Individual employees should contact their company's management to see if their company is or should be a member of FORCE," it stated.
The registration of the organization's website was originally registered in November 2006 held by Mirada Energey, a company coal project design and services company. It now lists Jeanine Rainone as the registrant.
The group emerged after the Tri-State Citizens Network and other community groups began lobbying to change state legislation to give landowners who have only surface rights greater protection from the effects of underground longwall mining.
On its website, FORCE lists its 2008 sponsors as being:
- 18 Karat, Inc.
- Amerikohl Mining, Inc.
- Farnham & Pfile
- Rosebud Mining Company
- Consol Energy
- Lee Supply Company, Inc.
- Joy Mining Machinery
- Burns Drilling and Excavating
- Bucyrus International, Inc.
- Conveyor Services Corporation
- Classic Conveyor Components Corporation
- Loud Out Services, Inc.
- C & J Welding Corporation
- Affiliates of Foundation Coal
- GMS Mine Repair & Maintenance, Inc.
- Jenmar Corporation
- Keystone Mountaineer Power Systems Inc.
- Shaft Drillers International Ltd.
- Pennsylvania Coal Association
- Jeanine Rainone Manager of FORCE
- Douglas Farnham, President, 
- Robert F. McMahon, Secretary/Treasurer 
240 Riverview Drive
Monessen, PA 15062
Phone: 724 684 8051
Fax 724 929 2199
Email: info At families4coal.org
Articles and Resources
- ↑ "About Us", Families Organized to Represent the Coal Economy website, accessed May 2008.
- ↑ "Welcome to FORCE", FORCE website, June 23, 2007. (This page is now only available in the Internet Archive).
- ↑ "Joining FORCE", FORCE website, June 23, 2007. (This page is now only available in the Internet Archive).
- ↑ www.families4coal.org, Joker.com, accessed May 2008.
- ↑ "2008 Signature Sponsors...", Families Organized to Represent the Coal Economy website, accessed May 2008.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 FORCE Form 990, 2005, page 5.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Jeanine Rainone, "Gov. Rendell To Address F.O.R.C.E. Gathering", Media advisory, PR Newswire, 13 May 2004. (This is only the lead par of the media release).
- Jim Parsons, "Team 4: Billboards Calling Pa. Coal Clean-And-Green", WTAE Channel 4 Action News, July 25, 2007.