|This is a profile of a U.S. Representative. (See the North Carolina portal for all incumbents, candidates and blogs.)|
- 1 Record and controversies
- 2 Bio
- 3 Money in politics
- 4 Committees and Affiliations
- 5 More Background Data
- 6 Contact
- 7 Articles and Resources
Record and controversies
For more information on environmental legislation, see the Energy and Environment Policy Portal
Born April 27, 1947, Butterfield was educated at North Carolina Central University, receiving degrees in sociology and political science. He earned his Juris Doctor from the same university.
Before his election to Congress, Butterfield was an attorney and an elected judge on the North Carolina Superior Court (1989 to 2001). In 2001, he was appointed to the North Carolina Supreme Court. In 2002, Butterfield lost his seat on the Supreme Court and returned to the Superior Court via a special appointment and served until his retirement in May 2004.
Butterfield was elected to Congress in a special election held on July 20, 2004 to fill the unexpired term of Rep. Frank Ballance, who resigned. On the same day, Butterfield won the Democratic primary for the general election to be held in November 2004; he faced Republican Greg Dority and won his first full term with 63% of the popular vote.
Money in politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases. <crpcontribdata>cid=N00027035&cycle=2006</crpcontribdata>
|Links to more campaign contribution information for G.K. Butterfield
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
- Revolving door profile for G.K. Butterfield from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- 2006 privately funded travel profile for G.K. Butterfield from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- Personal finance profile for G.K. Butterfield from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
Committees and Affiliations
- House Committee on Energy and Commerce
- Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection
- Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality
- Subcommittee on Environment and Hazardous Materials
Committee assignments in the 109th Congress (2005-2006)
- House Committee on Agriculture
- Subcommittee on Conservation Credit Rural Development and Research
- Subcommittee on General Farm Commodities and Risk Management
- Subcommittee on Department Operations Oversight Dairy Nutrition and Forestry
- House Committee on Armed Services
- Subcommittee on Readiness
- Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces
- Member, Congressional Black Caucus
More Background Data
413 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
District Office - Tarboro:
201 Saint Andrews Street, Room 264
Tarboro, NC 27886
District Office- Weldon:
Post Office Box 836
Weldon, NC 27890
District Office- Williamston:
415 East Boulevard, Suite 100
Williamston, NC 27892
District Office- Wilson:
105 South Douglas Street, Suite 201
Wilson, NC 27893
Articles and Resources
Local blogs and discussion sites
|Current Office: U.S. House of Representatives|
Ranking Member On:
Ranking Member On:
Congressional Black Caucus, Congressional Black Caucus Foundation
|Committees: House Committee on Energy and Commerce, House Committee on Energy and Commerce/Subcommittee on Commerce Trade and Consumer Protection, House Committee on Energy and Commerce/Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality, House Committee on Energy and Commerce/Subcommittee on Environment and Hazardous Materials,|
|First Elected to Current Office:
July 20, 2004
|First Took Current Office:
July 20, 2004
November 4, 2008
|Previous Political Work?
North Carolina Supreme Court, Superior Court Judge,
|Other Party Membership:|
|Zip Code Affiliations:|
Date of Birth: April 27, 1947
- Directors, Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, accessed August 20, 2008.