Gangavaram Port is in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. It has an annual coal capacity of 10 million tonnes per annum (mtpa), while an additional 10 mtpa coal capacity is under development.
The port is located in the south of Visakhapatnam, along the Bay of Bengal.
Officially inaugurated in July 2009 with five berths, it has a depth of 21 meters and is managed by Gangavaram Port Ltd, a consortium owned by the DVS Raju Group (58%), global private equity firm Warburg Pincus (32%) and the Andhra Pradesh Government (10%).
In 2011 it was reported that coal accounted for 70 percent of the port's total traffic – 10 million tonnes out of a total of 14 mt in the years 2010-2011.
Four new berths are currently under construction at Gangavaram Port, including a fully-mechanized coal terminal capable of receiving capesize vessels up to 200,000 dwt. When complete, the expansion project (originally scheduled for 2013-14 but since delayed) will increase the port's overall capacity from 17 million to over 40 million tonnes, with coal handling capacity rising from approximately 10 million to 20 million tonnes.
As of November 2014, work continues on the port's Phase II expansion, which calls for construction of four new berths (three multipurpose and one for coal).
Possible buy-out by Adani
In July 2015 it was reported that Adani Ports & Special Economic Zone Ltd (APSEZ) of Adani Group has entered into exclusive talks to acquire Gangavaram Port for US$2.1 billion.
In September 2015 APSEZ took over cargo-handling at the Kattupalli Port from Larsen and Toubro Ltd (L&T). APSEZ also said it plans to add a 20 million tonne (mt) capacity coal terminal at the port. Live Mint said the deal suggests APSEZ has lost interest in talks for buying the Gangavaram Port in Andhra Pradesh.
- Operator: Gangavaram Port Ltd.
- Location: Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Existing Coal Capacity (million tonnes per annum): 10
- Additional Proposed Coal Capacity (mtpa): 10
- Status: New coal berth under construction
- Projected in service:
- Coal source:
- Cost of expansion:
- Financing for expansion:
Articles and Resources
- "CM to inaugurate Gangavaram port", The Hindu Business Line (11 July 2009). Retrieved on 2009-07-13.
- "CM inaugurates Gangavaram Port", Business Standard (13 July 2009). Retrieved on 2009-07-13.
- "About the Port" Port Gangavaram website, accessed January 2015.
- "India: Gangavaram Port Achieves Milestone by Handling 100th Cape-Size Vessel" World Maritime News, January 7, 2013.
- "Chinamax ships seen carrying India coal in few years" Reuters, March 9, 2011.
- "How low-draft Kandla port manages to handle biggest of dry bulk ships" LiveMint, November 28, 2013.
- "Gangavaram port plans to shift away from coal" The Hindu Business Line, accessed October 10, 2011.
- "Gangavaram Port to have second mechanised coal terminal" The Hindu, August 18, 2013.
- "Gangavaram Port expansion cleared" Projects Today, November 1, 2014.
- "Adani in talks to acquire Gangavaram Port for $2.1b," The Times of India, July 15, 2015
- "Adani set to sign deal with L&T to manage Kattupalli port," livemint.com, Sep 25, 2015