This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on global corporations.
Glencore International is a major privately-owned mining and commodities company. It has interests in aluminium, alumina, zinc, copper, lead, ferroalloys, nickel, coal, oil and agricultural products.
Glencor's Coal Interests
On its website Glencore states that it is both a "significant producer of coal from its assets in South America and is itself a market leader in the marketing of Coal to the world's industrial consumers."
"Glencore has a market advisory agreement with Xstrata with respect to its export Coal sales. Other sources of Steam Coal are based on purchase contracts and agency agreements with major mining companies. Glencore has purchase contracts with the major Coal and Coke producers in Australia, South America, Indonesia, South Africa and Russia and supplies the world’s power utilities, steel mills, cement producers and chemical plants," it continues.
Glenore subsidiaries own 100% of the Calenturitas and the La Jagua mines in Colombia as well as the Puerto Prodeco coal port. Glencore subsidiaries also own 70% of the Shanduka coal mine in South Africa.
Accessed September 2012: 
- Simon Murray - Independent Non Executive Chairman
- Ivan Glasenberg - Chief Executive Officer
- Steven Kalmin - Chief Financial Officer
- Anthony Hayward - Senior Independent Non-Executive Director
- Li Ning - Independent Non-Executive Director
- Peter Coates - Independent Non-Executive Director
- Leonhard Fischer - Independent Non-Executive Director
- William Macaulay - Independent Non-Executive Director
Glencore International AG
Tel. +41 41 709 2000
Fax +41 41 709 3000
E-mail info AT glencore.com
Articles and Resources
- Glencore International, "Coal", Glencor International website, accessed June 2008.
- Glencore International Board, organizational web page, accessed September 23, 2012.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Australia and coal
- Colombia and coal
- Carbones del Cerrejón
- South Africa and coal
- Marc Rich
- Jacques Hachuel
- Daniel G. Vanin - former MD in peru
- Burea of Investigative Journalism April 16th 2012 Glencore allegedly linked to ‘child labour’
- Guardian April 14th 2012 Mining giant Glencore accused in child labour and acid dumping row
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|