Hazira power plant
Hazira power plant is a 515-megawatt (MW) combined-cycle power plant located near the Essar Steel facility in Gujarat, India.
An additional 270 MW coal plant is under construction.
The undated satellite photo below shows the site of the new new units Hazira village, Surat district.
The plant, which was commissioned in October 1997, burns naphtha, high-speed diesel, natural gasoline liquid and/or natural gas. Power from the plant is sold to the company's steel division, Essar Steel: 215MW is captive to the Essar steel plant and 300MW is supplied to Gujarat.
Hazira II expansion
Essar Energy is also proposing the Hazira II power plant, a 270MW plant comprising two 135MW unit using "imported coal and corex gas fines from the adjacent Essar Steel corex plant." According to Essar, Hazira II is planned for commissioning in 2015.
Project Details on the Hazira II expansion
Sponsor: Essar Energy
Location: Hazira village, Surat district, Gujarat
Coordinates: 21.1190775, 72.6405448 (exact)
Status: Operating (Unit 1); Operating (Unit 2)
Nameplate capacity: 270 MW (Units 1&2: 135 MW)
Projected in service: 2015, 2016
Coal Source: imported coal
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- Essar Energy, "Power", Essar Energy website, accessed February 2012.
- "New projects," Essar Energy website, accessed March 2015.
- "Sustainability Report 2014," Essar Energy, 2014
- "Essar Power Hazira registers strong operational and financial performance," Essar, February 04, 2016
- Harleigh Hobbs, "Essar Power Hazira commissions second 135 MW unit," World Coal, 1 December 2016