Highland 9 Mine
Highland 9 Mine is an underground bituminous coal mine located in Waverly, Union County, Kentucky on French Road, two miles west of US HWY 60. The mine is operated by Highland Mining Company, a subsidiary of Interior Holdings Corporation, and owned by Patriot Coal, which is part of Peabody Energy.
Coal is extracted with continuous mining machines and transported to the Camp 9 Prep Plant where it is processed and then transported to the Peabody Ohio River Terminal. From there it is barged to Tennessee Valley Authority's Cumberland Steam Plant located near Erin, Tennessee.
The mine began production in February 2003 and has 88 million tons of recoverable coal.
- MSHA ID: 1502709
- Operator: Highland Mining Company
- Owner: Peabody Energy
- Location: Kings Mill Rd, Waverly, Kentucky
- GPS coordinates: 37.739092,-87.779818
- Production: 3,946,351 tons (2007)
- Type of coal: Bituminous
- Mine type: Underground
- Equipment: Continuous
- Number of employees: 389
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Kentucky and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map: