Ileana Ros Lehtinen
|This is a profile of a U.S. Representative. (See the Florida portal for all incumbents, candidates and blogs.)|
Record and controversies
Ros-Lehtinen voted for the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 that started the Iraq War.
For more information on environmental legislation, see the Energy and Environment Policy Portal
Aid to Afghanistan
In May 2007, Rep. Ros-Lehtinen, along with Rep. Tom Lantos (D-Calif.) sponsored the Afghanistan Freedom and Security Support Act (H.R. 2446), which would provide $1.6 billion per year over the following three years to assist development, economic, and security programs in Afghanistan.
Ros-Lehtinen has supported and sponsored several pieces of legislation for the Church of Scientology , attended Scientology events , received recognition from Scientology publications , and collected numerous sizable campaign donations from prominent Scientologists .
Ros-Lehtinen was born in Havana, Cuba on July 15, 1952. She was educated at Florida International University and was a member of the Florida House of Representatives and the Florida Senate before entering the House.
Upon her election to succeed the late Congressman Claude Pepper, she became the first Hispanic woman elected to the United States House of Representatives. Her campaign manager was Jeb Bush and her candidacy was endorsed by Jorge Mas Canosa, former head of the Cuban-American National Foundation.
Ros is very popular among the populous gay community of Key West, as she has sponsored or supported some LGBT-friendly legislation such as:
- A hate crimes law.
- An employment discrimination bill to protect sexual minorities in federal jobs.
- AIDS prevention funding.
- A bill to allow openly homosexual military members. 
In 2006, Ros sponsored legislation making it a federal crime to accompany a minor across state lines in order to allow her to obtain an abortion while avoiding parental notification. 
Money in politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases. <crpcontribdata>cid=N00002858&cycle=2006</crpcontribdata>
|Links to more campaign contribution information for Ileana Ros Lehtinen
from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org site.
|Fundraising profile:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by organization/corporation:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
|Top contributors by industry:||2006 election cycle||Career totals|
- Revolving door profile for Ileana Ros Lehtinen from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- 2006 privately funded travel profile for Ileana Ros Lehtinen from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
- Personal finance profile for Ileana Ros Lehtinen from the Center for Responsive Politics' OpenSecrets.org website.
Committees and Affiliations
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs -Ranking
Committee assignments in the 109th Congress (2005-2006)
- House Committee on Government Reform
- Subcommittee on Energy and Resources
- Subcommittee on National Security Emerging Threats and International Relations
- House Committee on International Relations
- Subcommittee on the Middle East and Central Asia - Chair
- Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere
Coalitions and Caucuses
- Co Chair,Congressional Children's Caucus
- National Guard and Reserve Component Organization
- Congressional Boating Caucus
- Congressional Fire Sevices Caucus
- Congressional Horse Caucus
- Congressional Human Rights Caucus
- Congressional Sunbelt Caucus
- Congressional Travel and Tourism Caucus
- Speaker's Task Force for a Drug Free America
Boards and other Affiliations
- Bi-lingual Private School Association
- Member, Coalition to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong in China 
More Background Data
District Office- Miami:
9210 SW 72nd Street, Suite 100
Miami, FL 33173
Articles and resources
- ↑ Roll call vote, Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002.
- ↑ Embassy of Afghanistan,"Afghanistan Freedom and Security Support Act Will Provide Country with Crucial Resources for Reconstruction and to Fight Terrorism," May 25, 2007.
- ↑ Members, Coalition to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong in China, accessed July 30, 2008.
- Official website
- Open Secrets - 2006 congressional races database
- Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen's official re-election website Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen's official re-election website
- Steve Rothaus, "Republican Lawmaker Urging End to 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy," Miami Herald, April 10, 2005.
Local blogs and discussion sites
|Current Office: U.S. House of Representatives|
Ranking Member On:
Ranking Member On:
Co Chair of the Congressional Children's Caucus, National Guard and Reserve Component Organization, Congressional Boating Caucus, Congressional Fire Services Caucus, Congressional Horse Caucus, Congressional Human Rights Caucus, Congressional Sunbelt Caucus, Congressional Travel and Tourism Caucus, Speaker's Task Force for a Drug Free America
|Committees: House Committee on Foreign Affairs|
|First Elected to Current Office:
August 29, 1989
|First Took Current Office:
August 28, 1989
November 2, 2010
|Previous Political Work?
Florida State Senate, Florida House of Representatives
|Other Party Membership:|
|Zip Code Affiliations:|
Date of Birth: July 15, 1952