Indramayu power station
Indramayu power station (also known as Indramayu Sumuradem) is a 990-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in West Java Province, Indonesia.
The photo below shows the plant, located in Sumur Adem Village, Sukra District, Indramayu Regency, West Java Province.
Background on Plant
The Indramayu power station is a three-unit, 990-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Indonesia's West Java Province, owned by PLN. The three units of the Indramayu power station were built under Fast Track Program (FTP) Phase I.
In December 2014, Indramayu Regency officials alleged that a former Regency government official, Irianto M.S. Syafiuddin, had embezzled 4.1 billion Rupiah, or about $300,000, in the land acquisition process for the Indramayu plant in 2004.
Description of Expansion
PLN is planning to build two additional 1,000-MW coal-fired units at this plant. Environmental permits have been difficult to obtain, and have caused significant delays, with the company still waiting on these permits as of December 2014. The company was hoping to begin construction in 2015, but was uncertain whether it would be able to.
The 2015-2014 power supply plan for PT PLN lists the projected starting dates for Units 4 and 5 as 2019 and 2024 respectively.
The 2016-2025 power supply plan for PT PLN no longer lists Indaramayu Unit 5. It appears the project has been abandoned.
The expansion has been opposed by local residents, who say the existing plant has already resulted in negative impacts to their livelihoods, and that the expansion would displace needed farming land.
- Sponsor: PLN
- Location: Sumur Adem Village, Sukra District, Indramayu Regency, West Java Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -6.2747375, 107.9704303 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Units 1-3); Pre-permit development (Unit 4); Cancelled (Unit 5)
- Gross Capacity: 2,990 MW (Units 1-3: 3 x 330 MW; Units 4 & 5: 2 x 1,000 MW)
- Type: Subcritical (Units 1-3); Supercritical (Units 4 & 5)
- In service: 2010 (Unit 1); 2011 (Units 2 & 3); 2019 (Unit 4); 2024 (Unit 5)
- Coal Type: Subbituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Coal-Fired Plants Financed by International Public Investment Institutions Since 1994", Appendix to Foreclosing the Future: Coal, Climate and International Public Finance: Investment in coal-fired power plants hinders the fight against global warming, Environmental Defense, April 2009.
- “Electricity Policy Development & Investment Opportunity in Indonesia,” presentation by Ministry Energy and Mineral Resources, Directorate General of Electricity, March 2014
- "Indramayu Coal Power Plant," Global Energy Observatory, accessed April 2014
- Yance Diduga Korupsi Rp 4,1 Miliar di Proyek PLTU Sumur Adem, Kompas, 5 Dec. 2014.
- Pembangunan PLTU II Terganjal Izin, Radar Cirebon, 27 Jan. 2014.
- Pembangunan PLTU II Indramayu Tunggu Amdal, Republika, 4 Dec. 2014.
- "Executive Summary: Electricity Supply Business Plan, PT PLN (Persero) 2015-2014,"
- “Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik, PT PLN (Persero), 2016-2025,” Kementerian Energi Dan Sumber Daya Mineral, June 2016
- "Locals Protest Indramayu II Steam Power Plant Project," GRES News, 25 February 2016