Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc. (IPG) is one of the largest advertising and marketing conglomerates in the world (along with Omnicom Group and WPP Group). It has offices in more than 100 countries, realizing worldwide revenue in 2007 of US$6.5 billion. IPG’s five main clients (Coca-Cola, General Motors Corporation, Johnson & Johnson, Nestle and Unilever), contributed roughly 14% of their revenue in 2001, representing $941 million of spending. The largest client spent a massive $457m purchasing services from IPG. Twenty of IPG’s clients accounted for about 25% of their revenue (Interpublic, 2001, p. 22).
Some subsidiaries are McCann Worldgroup, DraftFCB, Lowe & Partners, Campbell-Ewald, Deutsch, and Hill, Holliday. "Interpublic also offers direct marketing, media services, and public relations through such agencies as Initiative and Weber Shandwick." 
- The group dates from 1902 when the Alfred W. Erickson agency was founded.
- It merged with H.K. McCann - founded 1911 by Harrison King McCann (1880-1962) - in 1930 to form McCann-Erickson. Interpublic Inc. was established in 1960 as a holding company for McCann Erickson and Marschalk & Pratt (acquired by McCann in 1954). The group was rebadged as the Interpublic Group in 1960 and expanded through an aggressive acquisition program prior to going public in 1971.
- Interpublic now includes the Lowe Group, Foote Cone & Belding Worldwide (founded by Emerson Foote (1906-1992)), and such US agencies as Bozell, Deutsch, and Temerlin McClain. It offers a range of marketing, media planning and buying, and public relationsservices through its Octagon, DraftWorldwide and Initiative Media subsidiaries. Source 
Previously used lobby firms:
- Bragman Nyman Cafarelli, United States
- Carmichael Lynch Spong, United States
- DeVries Public Relations, United States
- GolinHarris, Belgium, China, England, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, United States
- Initiative, Global
- MWW Group, United States
- Rogers & Cowan, England, United States
- Slay PR, United States
- Weber Shandwick Worldwide, Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Russia, Scotland, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand (2 more countries)
- PMK/HBH, United States
- The Rhoads Group, United States
- Tierney Communications, United States
- The Axis Agency, United States
- The Martin Agency, United States
- Mullen, United States
- Financial Relations Board, United States
- Rowan & Blewitt, United States
- FutureBrand, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, England, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, United States
- Gillespie, United States
- KRC Research, England, United States
- Howard Merrell & Partners, United States
- Advanced Marketing Services
- Bozell Worldwide
- FutureBrand Worldwide
- Hill, Holliday
- Jack Morton Worldwide
- McCann Relationship Marketing Partners Worldwide
- McCann-Erickson WorldGroup
- Modem Media
- Mullen Advertising
- Temerlin McClain
- Bozell, Campbell-Ewald
- Foote, Cone & Belding
- Lowe and Partners
- Campbell Mithun
- Carmichael Lynch
With 2007 pay:
- Michael I. Roth, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, $8,940,739
- Frank Mergenthaler, Chief Financial Officer, $4,315,871
- Philippe Krakowsky, Executive Vice President, Strategy and Corporate Relations, $2,570,085
- Timothy A. Sompolski, Executive Vice President, Chief Human Resources Office, $2,420,399
- Nicholas J. Camera, General Counsel and Secretary
- Christopher Carroll, Chief Accounting Officer
- Thomas Dowling, Chief Risk Officer
- Terry D. Peigh, Senior Vice President
Board of Directors
- Michael I. Roth, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
- Frank J. Borelli, Retired Chief Financial Officer and Director, Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc.
- Reginald K. Brack, Former Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Time Inc.
- Jocelyn Carter-Miller, President, TechEdVentures
- Jill M. Considine, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, The Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation
- Richard A. Goldstein, Former Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, International Flavors and Fragrances, Inc.
- H. John Greeniaus, Former Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Nabisco, Inc.
- Mary J. Steele Guilfoile, Chairman of MG Advisors, Inc.
- William T. Kerr, Chairman, Meredith Corporation
- David M. Thomas, Chairman and CEO, IMS Health
1114 Avenue of the Americas
New York, N.Y. 10036
Phone: (212) 704-1200
Fax: (212) 704-1201
Related SourceWatch articles
- Alliance for Climate Protection
- Climate Action Partnership
- Greenwashing/United States
- Haley Barbour
- BGR Holdings LLC
- Save the Children USA
- Ira Carlin
- Carl Spielvogel
- J. Brendan Ryan
- ↑ Interpublic Group Profile, Hoovers, accessed June 2008.
- ↑ Interpublic lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed June 2008.
- ↑ Management, Interpublic Group, accessed June 2008.
- ↑ Michael I Roth, Forbes, accessed June 2008.
- ↑ Frank Mergenthaler, Forbes, accessed June 2008.
- ↑ Philippe Krakowsky, Forbes, accessed June 2008.
- ↑ Timothy A Sompolski, Forbes, accessed June 2008.
- Stuart Elliott, "A New Venture for Jay-Z, on Madison Avenue", New York Times, February 8, 2008.
- Stephanie Clifford, "Agency Pays $12 Million to Settle Accounting Case", New York Times, May 2, 2008.
- Wendy A. Lee, "Mr. Bill Returns (in One Piece) to Pitch a Debit Card", New York Times, June 3, 2008.