KiPower power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of South Africa|
The KiPower Station is a proposed 600 MW coal-fired power station for Delmas, South Africa.
The map below shows the approximate location where the plant would be built, 20 km south-east of Delmas in Mpumalanga.
The plant is proposed by KiPower, a subsidiary of Kuyasa Mining, which runs the Delmas coal mine. KiPower wants to establish the station in close proximity to the Delmas coal mine, utilizing coal from the mine as the fuel. The station would include a coal ash disposal facility in close proximity.
KiPower expects the first of the plant’s four 150 MW units to be operational by 2018. The company said the power station may be extended to 2,000 MW.
In April 2015 the Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) requested additional information on the final environmental-impact assessment (EIA) report for the project. Requested information included the cumulative impacts of the proposed power line connection and the terms of a proposed agreement with State-owned power utility Eskom on the connection options for the plant. In October 2015 the DEA granted authorization for the construction of the plant. KiPower expects construction to begin in 2015.
The project's environmental permits have been consistently challenged by groundWork and other local groups, saying the EIA process has been inadequate, ignored public comments, and did not sufficiently consider alternatives.
The estimated cost is US$1.7 billion. KiPower is seeking financing.
- Sponsor: KiPower
- Parent company: Kuyasa Mining
- Location: Delmas, South Africa
- Coordinates: -26.14658, 28.680861 (approximate)
- Status: Permitted
- Gross Capacity: 600 MW (Units 1-4: 150 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service: 2018 (Unit 1)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source: Delmas coal mine
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Final Scoping Report - KiPower IPP Project," Jones and Wagener, Final Scoping Report June 2012.
- "KiPower coal-fired power plant, South Africa," Engineering News, May 16, 2014.
- "KiPower coal-fired power plant, South Africa," Engineering News, Apr 3, 2015
- "600 MW KiPower coal project given environmental go-ahead," Mining Weekly, Oct 22, 2015
- "Comments on the following final documents for the proposed KiPower (Pty) Ltd power station: Environmental Impact Assessment Report; Environmental Management Programme; Waste Management Licence Application Report; and Atmospheric Emission Licence Application," CER, June 3, 2014