Kothagudem Thermal Power Station
Kothagudem Thermal Power Station is a 1,680-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Telangana, formerly Andhra Pradesh, India.
An additional 800 MW unit has been proposed.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station at Paloncha in Telangana, India.
The plant has been divided into six stages. According to the India Central Electricity Authority, the last unit of the plant (U-11 of 500 MW) was "commissioned successfully (Full load)" on June 26, 2011.
|Stage||Unit Number||Installed Capacity (MW)||Date of Commissioning||Status|
|Stage III||5||110||13-08-1974||Uprated to 120 MW|
|Stage III||6||110||19-12-1974||Uprated to 120 MW|
Proposed 800 MW expansion (Unit 12)
In January 2012, it was reported that the Andhra Pradesh government has decided to utilise the vacant space at three existing coal plants to generate an additional 2,400 MW of power. The three plants are Vijayawada Thermal Power Station, the Krishnapatnam power station, and the Kothagudem Thermal Power Station, each of which would add 800 MW.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister directed AP Genco to commence work on the three projects in February 2013.
A public hearing on the proposed Unit 12 was held in July 2014. Protests were also planned. Project sponsors applied for environmental clearance in February 2015, which was granted on July 16, 2015. Construction work began in August 2015. The new unit is planned for commercial operation in December 2017.
Location (Unit 12)
The undated satellite photo below shows the proposed location for Unit 12, near the existing Kothagudem Thermal Power Station.
Project Details for 800 MW expansion (Stage VII, Unit 12)
Sponsor: Andhra Pradesh Power Generation Corporation
Location: Paloncha village, Khamman district, Telangana (formerly Andhra Pradesh)
- Existing power station: 17.6219, 80.69355 (exact)
- Expansion: 17.6092, 80.7248 (exact)
Capacity: 800 MW
Projected in service: 2017
Estimated annual CO2: 4,730,961 tons per year
Source of financing:
Permits: Terms of reference, India MoEF, Sep 26, 2012; EIA, Sep 2014; Environmental clearance, India MoEF, July 16, 2015
- Kothagudem Thermal Power Plant. Andhra Pradesh Power Generation Corporation Ltd..
- "Our Power Plants," Andhra Pradesh Power Generation Corporation, accessed January 2012.
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country" Government of India Ministry of Power, February 2012.
- "India Central Electricity Authority Monthly Report," India Central Electricity Authority, June 2011.
- "AP to increase capacity in 3 power plants," Industry Monitor, January 22, 2012
- "APGenco asked to begin work on 3 projects," The Hindu Business Line, Feb 15, 2013.
- "Public hearing today," The Hindu, July 25, 2014
- "Environmental clearance," India MoEF, July 16, 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2016
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, July 2016
- For estimation method, see Estimating carbon dioxide emissions for proposed coal plants in India