Lamberts Point Terminal
The Lamberts Point Terminal in Norfolk, Virginia, also known as the Norfolk Southern Coal Port, is the largest facility in North America for transloading coal from trains to ocean ships for export, with annual throughput capacity of 48 million tons. The main terminal is Pier 6, which has two shiploaders to load two vessels simultaneously, with combined dumping capacity of up to 8,000 tons per hour.
Lamberts Point Terminal is legally permitted to release up to 50 tons of coal dust into the air each year.
Norfolk Southern Railway announced that it had shipped a record of 159,941.45 net tons of metallurgical coal to China out of Lamberts Point Terminal in Norfolk, VA.
- ↑ John Boyd, "Norfolk Southern Coal Port Returns to Normal" Journal of Commerce, Jan. 5, 2010.
- ↑ "Exports to be biggest coal growth area for US railroads: AAR chief" Platts, March 9, 2011.
- ↑ "Norfolk Southern bullish on 2011 utility coal shipments, 2012 exports" Coal Outlook, Platts, July 27, 2011.
- ↑ "Coal Export FAQ" Siteline Institute, September 2011.
- ↑ "On its way to China, NS ships record coal load" Bill Archer, Bluefield Daily Telegraph, January 16, 2011.