|This is a profile of a freshman U.S. Representative in the 111th Congress. (See the North Carolina portal for all incumbents, candidates and blogs.)|
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Positions, record and controversies
Born in 1951, Kissell graduated from Wake Forest University with a degree in economics in 1973. He worked in the manufacturing of textiles for many years until plant closings prompted him to switch careers. Since 2001, he has worked as a social studies teacher. He and his wife Tina have two children.
Kissell's race against Rep. Robin Hayes (R-N.C.) in the 2006 congressional elections was very close, as Hayes held a 465-vote lead after an initial count. The count did not, however, include 1,492 provisional ballots. Eventually, however, Hayes was declared the winner.
On May 6, 2008 Kissell won the Democratic nomination to challenge incumbent Rep. Robin Hayes (R-NC.) by running unopposed.  Kissell defeated incumbent Robin Hayes in November 2008 general elections. 
Money in politics
This section contains links to – and feeds from – money in politics databases.
The following is drawn from government records of campaign contributions to Larry Kissell. Campaign contributions are one of the most direct conduits for influencing members of Congress. How to use this information. <crpcontribdata>cid=N00028859&cycle=2008</crpcontribdata>
Committees and affiliations
Kissell is assigned to the House Committee on Armed Services.
More background data
Mail: 106 East Main Street
PO Box 1530
Biscoe, NC 27209
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- 2008 U.S. congressional elections
- Portal:North Carolina and the U.S. Congress
- ↑ About Larry Kissell Larry Kissell for Congress.
- ↑ Eric Kleefeld, "The Latest On The Last Up-For-Grabs House Races: No One's Conceding" TPM Cafe, November 13, 2006.
- ↑ AP "North Carolina-Summary Vote Results" The The Appleton Post-Crescent, May 7, 2008
- ↑ "North Carolina 2008 General Election", TheGreenPapers.com, November 4, 2008
- 2008 Race Tracker page on North Carolina’s 8th Congressional District
- "Larry Kissell for Congress," Official Larry Kissell for Congress Website.
Local blogs and discussion sites
|Current Office: U.S. House of Representatives|
Ranking Member On:
|Committees: House Committee on Armed Services, House Committee on Agriculture|
Ranking Member On:
|First Elected to Current Office:
November 4, 2008
|First Took Current Office:
January 3, 2009
November 2, 2010
|Previous Political Work?
None or not available
|Other Party Membership:|
|Zip Code Affiliations:|
Date of Birth: January 31, 1951