Laurence Gould is a professor of physics at the University of Hartford in Connecticut, and former chairman of the New England Section of the American Physical Society.  His research areas include "mathematical physics and science education, symbolic computational physics, a critical analysis of global warming, the foundations of quantum theory, and the history of science."  All of his academic degrees, from doctoral to bachelor's level, are in physics. 
On global warming
In a 2008 open letter to the American Physical Society (APS), Gould claims it is false to state that human-induced or "anthropogenic emission of CO2 is causing dangerous global warming ... because of the massive amount of scientific evidence and analysis which contradict such claims." Dismissing the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and other reports as "AGWA," for "anthropogenic global warming alarmism," Gould writes, "Currently, the cumulative scientific evidence shows that the AGWA claims have not been substantiated" (emphasis in original). 
Gould's open letter goes on to say he is "amazed and distressed to find the APS Council taking the stand (in their November 2007 meeting) that 'The evidence is incontrovertible. Global warming is occurring...' and then going on to urge 'governments, universities, national laboratories and its [APS] membership to support policies and actions that will reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.'" The rambling, 12-page open letter cites many fellow skeptics, including Christopher Monckton, Richard S. Lindzen, Robert M. Carter and S. Fred Singer. 
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Global warming skeptics
- Heartland Institute
- International Conference on Climate Change (2009)
- SourceWatch:Project:Creating Articles on Sponsors and Speakers at The 2008 International Conference on Climate Change
- "Personnel details: Laurence Gould," Heartland Institute website, accessed March 2009.
- "Faculty and staff," Department of Physics, University of Hartford website, accessed March 2009.
- "Laurence Gould C.V.," University of Hartford website, accessed March 2009.
- "Speakers," Heartland Institute website, accessed January 2009.
- Laurence I. Gould, "An open letter to members of the New England Section of the American Physical Society: Anthropogenic Global Warming Alarmism: A Corruption of Science (pdf)," New England Section of the American Physical Society newsletter, Spring 2008.
- Laurence Gould, "Global Warming Alarmism: Checking the Claims, Exposing the Methods", Presentation to the Heartland Institute's International Conference on Climate Change (2009), March 10, 2009. (PowerPoint)
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|