League of Conservation Voters
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) is "the political voice of the national environmental movement and the only organization devoted full-time to shaping a pro-environment Congress and White House." The organization, founded by Marion Edey, serves as a network for 30 different affiliates located in various states. It was the top-spending, non-disclosing liberal group in the 2012 election cycle, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, investing about $11 million in political advertisements that expressly advocated for the election or defeat of federal candidates.
The LCV boasts a track record of demonstrated ability "to use the democratic process to improve the environment." The LCV says that it has defeated 60 percent of the anti-environmental candidates targeted by its Dirty Dozen campaigns since 1996 and helped hundreds of environmental leaders to victory, both on Capitol Hill and at the ballot box.
2012 Election Contributions
The League of Conservation voters has devoted $4.4 Million towards the defeat of the "Dirty Dozen," a group of Republicans who oppose environmental regulation.
- Gene Karpinski serves as current president. Karpinski was a lobbyist for the U.S. Public Interest Research Group for 21 years. He is the former field director for liberal nonprofits People for the American Way and Congress Watch.
- Patrick Collins serves as senior vice president of finance and amdministration. Collins is the Former chief financial officer at M + R Strategic Services, a Washington, D.C.-based public relations firm.
- Navin Nayak serves as senior vice-president of campaigns. Nayak served as deputy campaign manager for Clean Energy Works, a national campaign to push for climate change legislation
- Tiernan Sittenfeld serves as senior vice president of government affairs. Sittenfeld lobbied for environmental preservation at the U.S. Public Interest Research Group. Sittenfeld was also the former co-director for the Heritage Forests Campaign.
- Scott Nathan is the chairman of the Board of Directors. He is also the chief risk officer at Baupost Group, a Boston investment firm.
- Deb Callahan, former President
Board of Directors
LCV lists its current Board on its website. Current and some former Board members as of May 2013 include:
- John Adams, Natural Resources Defense Council
- Paul Austin, Conservation Minnesota and Conservation Minnesota Voter Center
- Brent Blackwelder (honorary), Friends of the Earth
- Sherwood Boehlert, Accord Group
- Carol Browner, The Albright Group, LLC
- Marcia Bystryn, New York League of Conservation Voters
- Brendon Cechovic, Washington Conservation Voters
- Carrie Clark, Conservation Council of North Carolina
- Manny Diaz, Lydecker Diaz
- George T. Frampton, Jr., Boies, Shiller & Flexner
- Wade Greene (honorary), Rockefeller Financial Services, Inc.
- Rampa R. Hormel, Global Environment Project Institute
- John Hunting (honorary), Beldon Fund
- Tom Kiernan, National Parks Conservation Association
- Fred Krupp, Environmental Defense
- Martha Marks, REP America
- Winsome McIntosh, Philanthropic Strategies, Inc.
- William H. Meadows III, The Wilderness Society
- Jorge Mursuli, People for the American Way
- Jonathan Poisner, Oregon League of Conservation Voters
- John D. Podesta, Georgetown University Law Center - Visiting Professor
- Lana Pollack, Michigan Environmental Council
- Marie W. Ridder, Trust for Public Lands
- Bill Roberts, Chair; Beldon Fund
- Larry Rockefeller, American Conservation Association
- Theodore Roosevelt IV, Lehman Brothers, Inc.
- Donald K. Ross, Rockefeller Family & Associates
- Rodger O. Schlickeisen, Vice Chair; Defenders of Wildlife
- Debbie Sease, Secretary' Sierra Club
- Peggy Shepard, West Harlem Environmental Action, Inc.
- S. Bruce Smart, Jr., Former Undersecretary of Commerce
- Linda B. Uihlein, Brico Fund LLC
- John Hill Watts(honorary), Fischer, Francis, Trees & Watts, Inc.
- Joanne Witty, Brooklyn Bridge Park Development Corp.
- Ed Zuckerman, Federation of State Conservation Leagues
Former Board Members
- Marcia Aronoff, Environmental Defense
- Everett (Brownie) Carson, Natural Resources Council of Maine
- Donna F. Edwards - currently on leave of absence, The Arca Foundation
- Lisa Guthrie, Virginia League of Conservation Voters
- Paul W. Hansen
- John (Jay) Harris, Changing Horizons Fund
- Denis Hayes, Treasurer; Bullitt Foundation
In 2010, the League of Conservation Voters' total revenue was $19.5 million, with $19 million going towards expenses. It possessed $6.4 million in Net Assets..
The League of Conservation Voters, Inc.
1920 L Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC, 20036
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Resources
- Environment 2004
- environmental protection
- Progressive Donor Network
- soft money
- Frank E. Loy - Former Chairman
- Betsy Loyless - Former Political Director
- Center for Responsive Politics, League of Conservation Voters, OpenSecrets.org, accessed May 2013.
- League of Conservation Voters, Mission, organizational website, accessed May 2013.
- Reity O'Brienemail, Nonprofit profile: League of Conservation Voters Inc., Center for Public Integrity, October 3, 2012.
- League of Conservation Voters, Board, organizational website, accessed May 2013.
- League of Conservation Voters, Form 990, organizational IRS filing, 2010.