On October 13, 1998, Secretary of Defense William Sebastian Cohen "announced the formation and first meeting of the National Security Study Group" that was headed by former Senators David Boren and Warren Bruce Rudman and otherwise known as the Boren-Rudman Commission. Lynne Cheney was invited to become a member of the Group.
Cheney is the wife of Vice President Dick Cheney. The Cheney's daughter, Elizabeth Cheney, is Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs and Coordinator for Broader Middle East and North Africa Initiatives and heads the Iran-Syria Operations Group.
- With Robin Preiss Glasser (Illustrator), "Our 50 States: A Family Adventure Across America", Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing, October 24, 2006, ISBN 0689867174.
- "A Time for Freedom," Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing, September 27, 2005, ISBN 1416909257.
- With Peter Fiore, "When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots," Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing, October 12, 2004, ISBN 0689870434.
- With Robin Preiss Glasser (Illustrator), "A is for Abigail: An Almanac of Amazing American Women," Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing, September 16, 2003, ISBN 0689858191.
- With Robin Preiss Glasser (Illustrator), "America : A Patriotic Primer," Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing; 1st ed edition May 21, 2002, ISBN 0689851928.
- With Victor Gold, "The Body Politic" (Mass Market Paperback), St. Martin's Paperbacks, October 2000, ISBN 0312979630.
- "TELLING THE TRUTH: Why Our Culture and Our Country Have Stopped Making Sense - And What We Can Do About It," Simon & Schuster, October 16, 1995, ISBN 0684811014.
- "Telling the Truth a Report on the State of the Humanities in Higher Education," National Endowment for the Humanities, 1992, ASIN B000I71AP4 (Paperback).
- "Sisters", New American Library, November 1981, ISBN 0451112040.
- "Executive Privilege," Simon & Schuster, June 5, 1979, ISBN 0671240609.
Resources and articles
- Webpage: Mrs. Cheney and Bio: Lynne V. Cheney, White House (accessed October 30, 2006).
- Bio: Lynne V. Cheney, American Enterprise Institute.
- Profile: Lynne Cheney, Media Transparency.
- Profile: Lynne V. Cheney, RightWeb.
- Profile: Lynne V. Cheney, NNDB.com.
- Bio: "Mrs. Dick Cheney (Lynne)" and "Mrs. Cheney's Literary Masterpiece," WhiteHouse.org. Note: This is NOT an official White House website.
- Lynne Cheney and Sisters (Lynne Cheney novel) in the Wikipedia.
Interviews & Speeches
- Major Issues Lecture: Academic Freedom, Lynne V. Cheney, Chairman, National Endowment for the Humanities, Ashbrook Center for Public Affairs at Ashland University, April 1, 1992.
- Galeropia.org: Sisters: "This is the transcription of the Lynne Cheney Sisters blog, devoted to spreading the wonderful book to all those who want it, but cannot find it in any of the used bookstores which were supported to meet their need for it." (125-pdf).
Articles & Commentary
- Jonathan Chait, "Lynne Cheney, Policy Assassin," The American Prospect, March 1-April 1, 1999.
- Timothy Noah, "Cheney's Lynne Problem," Salon, July 24, 2000.
- Pat Neal, "Lynne Cheney part of Bush-Cheney ticket," CNN, July 25, 2000.
- "Gays blast Lynne Cheney's denial about her daughter. Friends say Mary Cheney has publicly declared she's gay. Does mom's discomfort mean Mary will campaign from the GOP's closet?" Salon, August 1, 2000.
- Dave Cullen and Daryl Lindsey, "Nothing about Mary. While gay America watches, the GOP's second family closets its lesbian daughter," Salon, August 3, 2000.
- Jake Tapper, "Bush gets in on Hollywood-bashing. Lynne Cheney will be able to take her shots at the entertainment industry before Congress in what's shaping up to be the season's biggest gangbang," Salon, September 11, 2000.
- Anthony York, "Slim-Cheney. The wife of George W. Bush's running mate stands up to Eminem at a Senate hearing on Hollywood violence," Salon, September 14, 2000.
- "Lynne Cheney blasts Gore comments on media violence," CNN, September 18, 2000.
- Jon Wiener, "Hard to Muzzle: The Return of Lynne Cheney," The Nation, September 27, 2000.
- Elaine Showalter, "Lynne Cheney, Feminist Intellectual?" The Chronicle Review, September 29, 2000.
- "Lynne Cheney's Sisters act," The Advocate (FindArticles.com), November 7, 2000.
- Stephen Talbot, "Sweet dreams, honey. Every time Lynne Cheney's morbid novel hits the bookstores, her husband has a heart attack. When you read it, you'll see why," Salon, November 28, 2000.
- Timothy Noah, "Whopper of the Week: Lynne Cheney," Slate, February 9, 2001: "'I don't remember the plot.'—Lynne Cheney to New York Times reporter Melinda Henneberger on being asked to comment on the 1981 novel, Sisters."
- "'Short On Patriotism'? Lynne Cheney and Sen. Lieberman's Organization Targets University Students and Professors for Criticizing U.S. Foreign Policy," Democracy Now!, November 14, 2001.
- Roberto J. Gonzalez, "Lynne Cheney-Joe Lieberman Group Puts Out a Blacklist," San Jose Mercury News (Common Dreams), December 13, 2001.
- John Sutherland, "C is for clampdown. How to stop student liberalism in the US: get to them when they're five," Guardian Unlimited (UK), June 10, 2002.
- Robert Jensen, "'G' is for Gloss Over. Lynne Cheney's Primer," CounterPunch (ZNet), July 3, 2002.
- "Publisher cancels reissue of racy novel by Lynne Cheney," Associated Press (USA TODAY), April 3, 2004.
- "Lynne Cheney, Feminist Hypocrite?" The Importance of .../Corante.com, April 6, 2004.
- Justin Levine, "Copyright Proves To Be The Worst Form of Censorship (Lynne Cheney writes on 'brothels, attempted rapes and a lesbian love affair.' Yeah, baby!" CALBLOG, April 8, 2004.
- Pat Morrison, "Lynne Cheney’s Wild, Wild West," Los Angeles Times (SpokesmanReview.com; Common Dreams), August 13, 2004: "But then there’s another book, written by another well-known political figure, and it’s a doozy. Throughout its pages are fornication (the heroine with her late sister’s husband), incest (half brother knocks up half sister), adultery (the heroine, with her first husband’s friend), contraception (by the wed and the unwed) and lesbian couplings (the heroine’s sister and an older woman). And incidentally, lynchings, dogicide, cattle theft and robber-baronism."
- Mary Jacoby, "Madame Cheney's cultural revolution. How the vice president's powerful wife makes sure that historians and other scholars follow the right path," Salon, August 26, 2004.
- Mike Weiss, "Landing the lineman. Lynne Cheney knew what it took to get her man -- from Wyoming to Washington," San Francisco Chronicle, September 3, 2004.
- "Lynne Cheney burns books," Majikthise Blog, October 8, 2004.
- Steven J. Ross, "21st Century Book-Burning. Mrs. Cheney, there's more to U.S. history than heroes," Information Clearing House, October 13, 2004.
- Michael Laris, "Mention of Gay Daughter a Cheap Trick, Lynne Cheney Says," The Washington Post, October 14, 2004.
- "Oh, Lynne Cheney, Stop Listening to Mary Matalin Feed You Whiny Character Attacks that Backfire Because Your Husband, Dick, is the Witness Against You -- And Himself," Buzzflash, October 15, 2004.
- Jonathan Rees, "The Reason Lynne Cheney Had 300,000 History Booklets Destroyed," HNN.US, October 18, 2004.
- Gary B. Nash, "Lynne Cheney's Attack on the History Standards, 10 Years Later," HNN.US, November 8, 2004.
- Carla, "Lynne Cheney: It's only lesbianism if Buster does it," Daily Kos, February 17, 2005.
- "Lynne Cheney's Lesbian Sex Novel," Global News Matrix/PrisonPlanet.com, October 4, 2005.
- Matthew Cooper, "10 Questions for Lynne Cheney," TIME Magazine, October 16, 2005.
- Faiz Shakir, "Lynne Cheney Unhinged: Insists Her Husband Never Connected Saddam to 9/11," Think Progress, December 1, 2005.
- Jason P. Ruel, "Sisters - A Book By Lynne Cheney," BellaOnline, 2006.
- Lee Davidson, "Lynne Cheney's ancestors. Wife of v.p. finds her roots deeply entrenched in the LDS migration," Deseret Morning News, January 22, 2006.
- "The Lieberman-Cheney Blacklist Revisited," My Left Nutmeg Blog, March 5, 2006.
- "Life Imitates Art: Lynne and Mary Cheney Write Books," PERRspectives Blog, May 8, 2006.
- "Lynne Cheney’s Flying Monkeys on the Attack," The Gaelic Starover Blogspot, September 6, 2006.
- Chris Suellentrop, "Cheney in Charge," Washington Post, October 23, 2006. Review of "VICE. Dick Cheney and the Hijacking of the American Presidency" by Lou Dubose and Jake Bernstein (Random House).
- Geoffrey Dickens, "Lynne Cheney Shoots Back At Matt Lauer," NewsBusters, October 25, 2006.
- "VIDEO: Lynne Cheney Unhinged On CNN," Think Progress, October 27, 2006.
- Mike Sheehan and David Edwards, "VP's wife says Webb 'full of baloney,' won't discuss her own salacious novel," The Raw Story, October 27, 2006.
- Taylor Marsh, "Lynn Cheney Loses It," TaylorMarsh.com, October 27, 2006.
- John Amato, "Lynne Cheney deflects Dick Cheney’s torture remarks by using the 'liberal bias' meme," Crooks and Liars, October 27, 2006.
- John Eggerton, "Cheney Lays Into CNN," Broadcasting & Cable, October 27, 2006.
- Michael T. Shear and Tim Craig, "Allen blasts Webb novels for sex scenes. Veteran says literary works reflect trauma of war as Va. race heats up," The Washington Post, October 28, 2006: "Her book is out of print and difficult to find, but independent reviews describe it as highly sexual and 'steamy' and mention lesbian characters."
- "Lou Dobbs On Lynne Cheney Interview: 'Now We Are Watching Power Bridling And Truth Being Spoken To Power'...," The Huffington Post, October 28, 2006.
- Dale Hill, "Bill O'REILLY, George Allen, and Lynne Cheney - All UNAMERICAN," OpEdNews, October 28, 2006.
- "Video: Dobbs, Fox differ on outcome of VP wife's CNN rant," The Raw Story, October 28, 2006.
- "Lynne Cheney novel churns controversy in Senate race," CNN, October 29, 2006.
- Nico Pitney, "CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Calls Out Lynne Cheney For 'Sniping At My Patriotism'," Think Progress, October 29, 2006.
- Brad Schader, "Lynne Lies About Her Sisters," Blogcritics.org, October 29, 2006.
- Michael Rowland, "Outrage in US as Cheney defends interrogation techniques," The World Today/ABC.net (Australia), October 30, 2006.
- Shelley Lewis, "Trippin' With Lynne Cheney," The Huffington Post, October 30, 2006.
- "Cheney Warns Iraq Terrorists Trying to Sway U.S. Election," Fox News, October 30, 2006.
- Evan Derkacz, "Cheney's own porn bites her in the ass. If you're lying, attack your opponent...," AlterNet, October 30, 2006. Includes video link.
- Satyam Khanna, "Lynne Cheney: Terrorist Attacks Worldwide Don’t Affect ‘American Interests’," Think Progress, October 11, 2007. re war on terrorism