Learn more about Pete Peterson-funded astroturf projects at the Fix the Debt Portal.
|Company Name||Marriott International|
|CEO Name||Arne Sorenson|
|CEO Retirement Assets||$2,259,382|
|Annual Company Revenue||$12,317,000,000|
|Territorial Tax Break||$157,850,000|
|Federal Lobbying/Political Donations ('09-'12*)||$2,320,000|
|Click here for sources.
2011 data unless otherwise noted.
©2013 Center for Media and Democracy
Marriott (Marriott International, Inc.) has over 2,900 hotels in over 65 countries making it one of the world's largest hotel companies. The Marriott family, including CEO J. W. Marriott, Jr., owns about 15% of the company.  Brands include Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels & Resorts, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, Fairfield Inn by Marriott, and The Ritz-Carlton Hotel luxury chain. 
In 2011, Marriott reported $12,317,000,000 in revenues.
Ties to Pete Peterson's "Fix the Debt"
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem." Marriott is part of the Campaign to Fix the Debt as of February 2013.
This article is part of the Center for Media and Democracy's investigation of Pete Peterson's Campaign to "Fix the Debt." Please visit our main SourceWatch page on Fix the Debt.
|About Fix the Debt|
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem." Through a special report and new interactive wiki resource, the Center for Media and Democracy -- in partnership with the Nation magazine -- exposes the funding, the leaders, the partner groups, and the phony state "chapters" of this astroturf supergroup. Learn more at PetersonPyramid.org and in the Nation magazine.
Board of Directors
- J.W. Marriott Jr. - Executive Chairman and Chairman of the Board, Marriott International, Inc.
- John W. Marriott III - Vice Chairman of the Board, Marriott International, Inc., and Chief Executive Officer, JWM Family Enterprises, L.P.
- Mary K. Bush - Chairman, Bush International, LLC
- Lawrence W. Kellner - President, Emerald Creek Group, LLC and former Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Continental Airlines
- Debra L. Lee - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, BET Networks
- George Muñoz - Principal, Muñoz Investment Banking Group,LLC
- Harry J. Pearce - Chairman, Nortel Networks Corporation
- Steven S Reinemund - Dean of Business, Wake Forest University
- Mitt Romney
- Lawrence M. Small - former Secretary, The Smithsonian Institution
- Arne M. Sorenson - President and Chief Executive Officer, Marriott International, Inc.
Former board members include: 
- Richard S. Braddock, Chairman of MidOcean Partners
As of February 2013:
- J.W. Marriott Jr., Executive Chairman and Chairman of the Board
- Arne M. Sorenson, President and Chief Executive Officer
- Robert J. McCarthy, Chief Operations Officer
- Carl T. Berquist, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Anthony G. Capuano, Executive Vice President and Chief Development Officer
- Simon F. Cooper, President and Managing Director - Asia Pacific
- Bancroft S. Gordon, Vice President, Senior Counsel and Corporate Secretary
- David J. Grissen, Group President - The Americas
- Carolyn B. Handlon, Global Treasurer and Executive Vice President- Finance
- Deborah Marriott Harrison, Senior Vice President- Government Affairs
- Kevin M. Kimball, Executive Vice President- Finance
- Alex Kyriakidis, President and Managing Director - Middle East & Africa
- Kathleen Matthews, Executive Vice President- Global Communications and Public Affairs Officer
- Amy C. McPherson, President and Managing Director - Europe
- Laura E. Paugh, Senior Vice President- Investor Relations
- David A. Rodriguez, Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
- Edward A. Ryan, Executive Vice President and General Counsel
|Key executives and 2006 pay: ||Options
|J. W. Marriott, Jr., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer||$2,500,000||$32,280,000|
|William J. Shaw, Chief Operating Officer||$1,890,000||$19,450,000|
|Arne M. Sorenson, Chief Financial Officer||$1,150,000||$1,990,000|
|Robert J. McCarthy, President of Global Brand Management||$819,000||$2,420,000|
|James M. Sullivan, Executive Vice President of Lodging Development||$1,150,000||$7,800,000|
10400 Fernwood Road
Bethesda, MD 20817
Resources and articles
Featured SourceWatch Articles on Fix the Debt
- Fix the Debt Portal Page
- Fix the Debt's Leadership
- Fix the Debt's Partner Groups
- Fix the Debt's State Chapters
- Fix the Debt's Lobbyists
- Fix the Debt's Parent Group
- Fix the Debt's Corporations
- Pete Peterson
- Peter G. Peterson Foundation
- America Speaks
- Simpson-Bowles Commission
- Erskine Bowles
- Alan Simpson
- Social Security
- ↑ Profile, Hoovers, accessed July 2007.
- ↑ Brands, Marriott, accessed July 2007.
- ↑ Marriott International, "2011 Annual Report", organizational document, page 46.
- ↑ Marriott, "Board of Directors", organizational website, accessed February 2013
- ↑ Marriott, "Mitt Romney Rejoins Marriott International Board", December 3, 2012.
- ↑ Board of Directors, Marriott, accessed October 2007.
- ↑ Marriott, "Leadership", organizational website, accessed February 2013
- ↑ 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed July 2007.
- ↑ Marriott International lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed October 2007.
- ↑ Marriott Key Executives, Yahoo Finance, accessed October 2007.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|