Medtronic, Inc. based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S., is a leading maker of biomedical devices that get implanted into the human body. According to Hoovers, "the company makes defibrillators and pacemakers that help the heart beat normally. Subsidiary Medtronic Sofamor Danek makes spinal implant devices, and its neurological division makes neurostimulation devices and products that treat urinary incontinence." 
Medtronic has used the services of the online advocacy and public relations company Grassroots Enterprise , which boasts former Clinton White House Press Secretary Mike McCurry and Randy Tate, of the Christian Coalition, as board members (according to Grassroot Enterprise's web site).
Key executives and 2007 pay: 
- William A. Hawkins, Chief Executive Officer, $4,412,312
- Michael F. Demane, Chief Operating Officer, $4,581,891 (also exercised $1,298,252 in options)
- Stephen H. Mahle, Senior Healthcare Policy Advisor, $3,936,710
- Gary Ellis, Chief Financial Officer, $2,018,258
Selected members of the Board of Directors: 
- Arthur D. Collins, Jr., Chairman of the Board, $11,500,630 (2006)
- James T. Lenehan, Former Vice Chairman and President of Johnson & Johnson
- Kendall J. Powell, Also Chief Executive Officer, General Mills
- Shirley Ann Jackson, Also Director of Federal Express Corporation, Marathon Oil Corporation, and IBM Corporation
- Richard H. Anderson, Also Chief Executive Officer, Delta Air Lines
- William W. George - former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Medtronic.
710 Medtronic Parkway
Minneapolis, MN 55432
- Medtronic Profile, Hoovers, accessed December 2007.
- 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed December 2007.
- Medtronic lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed December 2007.
- Executive Management Team, Medtronic, accessed December 2007.
- William A Hawkins III, Forbes, accessed December 2007.
- Michael F Demane, Forbes, accessed December 2007.
- Stephen H Mahle, Forbes, accessed December 2007.
- Gary Ellis, Forbes, accessed December 2007.
- Board of Directors, Medtronic, accessed December 2007.
- Arthur D Collins Jr, Forbes, accessed December 2007.
- "PR Week Names Grassroots Enterprise's Hlinko as Finalist for "PR Professional of the Year": Move Caps Award-Filled 2005 for Surging Public Affairs Firm", Media Release, January 10, 2006.
- "Activa TM Tremor Control Therapy "Stop the Shaking": Medtronic, Inc. Neurological Division", Ketchum Awards and recognition 1998: PRSA Awards of Excellence, accessed April 2006.
- "AVID: Preventing Sudden Cardiac Death Medtronic", Ketchum Awards and recognition 1998: PRSA Bronze Anvils, accessed April 2006.