Michael A. Peterson
Learn more about Pete Peterson-funded astroturf projects at the Fix the Debt Portal.
Michael A. Peterson is the son of Peter G. Peterson.
Michael Peterson is the president and chief operating officer of the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, which has given millions since it was founded in 2008 to a broad network of organizations and initiatives seeking radical cutbacks to America’s social safety net.
Michael Peterson is also the president and co-founder of GPX Enterprises, a Philadelphia-based private equity firm. In 2010, GPX’s executive chairman and co-founder, tech investor Thomas J. Gravina, invited budget hawk and former president of the Peter G. Peterson foundation, David M. Walker, to his home to raise support among Philadelphia millionaires for a campaign to cut back on Social Security and Medicare eligibility.
Ties to Pete Peterson's "Fix the Debt"
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem."
This article is part of the Center for Media and Democracy's investigation of Pete Peterson's Campaign to "Fix the Debt." Please visit our main SourceWatch page on Fix the Debt.
|About Fix the Debt|
The Campaign to Fix the Debt is the latest incarnation of a decades-long effort by former Nixon man turned Wall Street billionaire Pete Peterson to slash earned benefit programs such as Social Security and Medicare under the guise of fixing the nation's "debt problem." Through a special report and new interactive wiki resource, the Center for Media and Democracy -- in partnership with the Nation magazine -- exposes the funding, the leaders, the partner groups, and the phony state "chapters" of this astroturf supergroup. Learn more at PetersonPyramid.org and in the Nation magazine.
Resources and Articles
Featured SourceWatch Articles on Fix the Debt
- Fix the Debt Portal Page
- Fix the Debt's Leadership
- Fix the Debt's Partner Groups
- Fix the Debt's State Chapters
- Fix the Debt's Lobbyists
- Fix the Debt's Parent Group
- Fix the Debt's Corporations
- Pete Peterson
- Peter G. Peterson Foundation
- America Speaks
- Simpson-Bowles Commission
- Erskine Bowles
- Alan Simpson
- Social Security
- GPX Enterprises, "Thomas J. Gravina, Executive Chairman & Co-Founder", organizational website, accessed January 1, 2013.
- Joseph N. DiStefano, "PhillyDeals: Social Security activists appeals to Philly millionaires", The Philadelphia Inquirer, June 17, 2010.
- Fix the Debt, "Who We Are", organizational website, accessed December 2012.