NFIB's Research Arm
Follow the money in the Koch wiki.
The NFIB Research Foundation serves as the research arm of the National Federation of Independent Business, with the aim of "promoting greater understanding of small business and the conditions that impact it" by producing "various studies on small business" and the impact of public policy.
The Koch brothers -- David and Charles -- are the right-wing billionaire co-owners of Koch Industries. As two of the richest people in the world, they are key funders of the right-wing infrastructure, including the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the State Policy Network (SPN). In SourceWatch, key articles on the Kochs include: Koch Brothers, Koch Industries, Americans for Prosperity, American Encore, and Freedom Partners.
In late 2012, the research foundation conducted a study of attitudes towards taxes with 12,500 randomly sampled NFIB members. Eighty-one percent of the respondents agreed that "spending cuts should take priority over tax increases to reduce the [federal budget] deficit." These figures are much higher than data from independent polls from the same period. In a Gallup poll from the same month, for example, only 66 percent of Republicans and 23 percent of Democrats agreed that spending cuts were the best way of reducing the federal budget deficit. This discrepancy casts doubts on the NFIB claim that its members represent a cross-section of small business owners.
As of June 2014, the research foundation's staff consists of:
- Michael Chow, Senior Data Analyst
- William (Denny) Dennis, Jr., Senior Research Fellow
- William C. Dunkelberg, Chief Economist
- Jonathan A. Scott, Adjunct Fellow
- Holly Wade, Senior Policy Analyst
National Federation of Independent Business
53 Century Blvd, Suite 250
Nashville, TN 37214
Toll-Free: (800) 634-2669
Direct: (615) 872-5800
Web Form: http://www.nfib.com/contact-us
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Koch Brothers
- Koch Family Foundations
- Americans for Prosperity
- Freedom Partners
- Cato Institute
- Heritage Foundation
- Koch Universities
- Koch Network
- Knowledge and Progress Fund
- American Encore
- Donors Capital
- 60 Plus
- Generation Opportunity
- NFIB Research Foundation, About the Foundation, organizational website, accessed June 24, 2014.
- NFIB Research Foundation, NFIB Study: Small Business Owners Overwhelming Favor Comprehensive Tax Reform, organization website, accessed June 24, 2014.
- Gallup Politics, More in U.S. Now Want Balanced Approach to Cutting Deficit, organizational website, accessed June 24, 2014.
- NFIB Research Foundation, Staff, organizational website, accessed June 24, 2014.