CMD superman logo.jpg SourceWatch, a project of the Center for Media and Democracy,

depends on donations from people like you!

Click here to make a tax-deductable contribution.

Nabinagar Thermal Power Project

From SourceWatch
Jump to: navigation, search

This article is part of the Coal Issues portal on SourceWatch, a project of CoalSwarm and the Center for Media and Democracy. See here for help on adding material to CoalSwarm.

This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of India and coal.
Sub-articles:

Nabinagar I power station is a proposed 1,000 megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Bihar, India.

Location

The plant is The project is located in the Aurangabad district of Bihar, on the west side of the Barun-Nabinagar Road, about 50 km from Aurangabad city and about 250 km from Ranchi.[1]

Loading map...

Background

The proposed plant would comprise four 250MW generating units.[2] The project is located near the village of Dhundwa near Nabinagar. The power station would primarily be used to supply power to the Eastern and Western districts of Railways operations in the states of Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Chhatisgarh, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.[3][4]

In 2011 the power station was described as at an advanced stage of construction[5] by Bharatiya Rail Bijlee Company, a joint venture company formed by the Ministry of Railways and the National Thermal Power Corporation.[6][4]

Ownership

The joint venture project will be developed by Bhartiya Rail Bijli Company, with NTPC having 74% equity in the project and the Ministry of Railways the remaining 26%.[7]

The joint venture company was first proposed with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding back in February 2002. However, it was not until in February 2007 the the company was finally approved by the national government's the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs.[8]

Equipment burnt

In November 2010 it was reported that, according to the Superintendent of Police, four dumpers, three cranes and other machinery at the project site had been burnt. It was also reported that several workers on the site held captive and assaulted by the armed attackers. The media report attributed the attack on the plant works to "Maoists" and "naxalites."[9]

Project Details

Sponsor: Bhartiya Rail Bijli Company
Location: Dhundwa village, Nabinagar taluk, Aurangabad district, Bihar
Coordinates: 24.8285458, 84.270227 (approximate)
Status: Construction
Capacity: 1000 MW (4 x 250 MW)
Type:
Projected in service: Unit 1: 2015, Unit 2: 2016, Unit 3: 2017[10]
Coal Type: 2900-3800 Kcal/kg
Coal Source: 5 Million Tonnes per year from North Karanpura of Central Coalfields Mine[1]
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:

Articles and resources

References

  1. 1.0 1.1 "Nabinagar Thermal Power Project", Infraline.com, accessed December 2011.
  2. "Railways to set up 1000 MW power plant in Nabinagar", Economic Times of India, July 31, 2009.
  3. "Railways to set up 1000 MW power plant in Nabinagar", Economic Times, July 31, 2009.
  4. 4.0 4.1 "Projects Info | 18-24 August, 2008", Construction Update.com, accessed December 2011.
  5. Mamata Banerjee, Minister for Railways, "Speech of Mamata Banerjee introducing the Railway Budget 2011-12", February 25th, 2011.
  6. National Thermal Power Corporation, "Future Capacity Additions", National Thermal Power Corporation website, accessed May 2011.
  7. "Railway Budget 09-10: Railways to set up 1,000 MW power plant with NTPC", Economic Times of India, July 3, 2009.
  8. "NTPC, Railways form JV to set up power plant in Bihar", The Economic Times, November 6, 2007.
  9. "Maoists burn equipment of NTPC plant", Economic Times, November 25, 2010.
  10. "NTPC Investor Presentation August 2014,"

Resources

Related SourceWatch articles

Loading map...

External resources

External articles