Pajamas Media was co-founded in 2004 by two Los Angeles bloggers, Charles Johnson and Roger L. Simon. As projected, Pajamas Media assumed a new identity as Open Source Media (OSM™), which launched its "online media portal" November 16, 2005.
Name Change ... Again
On November 21, 2005, Open Source Media announced that it was "re-assuming" its identity as Pajamas Media.
Also see "The End of the Name Game" by Open Source Radio, November 22, 2005.
Overview: Pajamas Media
In May 2005, Simon told Tech Central Station that the purpose of Pajamas Media is twofold: "The first is to give bloggers access to more advertising revenue -- in addition to what many bloggers are receiving from Henry Copeland's BlogAds. The second is to develop a Blog News Network that will do what many bloggers fear Google will no longer do; aggregate blog posts on various topics and present them for bloggers and blog readers to peruse and search through."
Conflicts of interest?
On October 29, 2005, two members of Pajamas Media's Editorial Board, Michael Barone and David Corn, appeared together on Fox News as journalists providing opposite viewpoints without identifying their shared business relationship in Pajamas Media.
Johnson and Simon, following their first-hand experience of "two events that marked the growing influence of blogs on society: a blog-driven investigation into the United Nations Oil for Food scandal and another into the falsified military records cited by CBS News in coverage of President George W. Bush." 
"After spending several months developing a model to support a dramatic new publishing medium, they announced in the summer of 2005 that their venture was a go. Their plan will provide an online place where readers and thoughtful bloggers can come together to be informed, to explore issues of the day, and to have fun. Key details of the plan are still under wraps. For now, the co-founders will say only that there will be a significant unveiling in the fall of 2005." 
Current list of bloggers who have signed up with Pajamas Media
Beginning in September 2005, Pajamas Media provided profiles of the bloggers who had signed up for its services. Among the profiles are:
- Aussie Dave's Israellycool (anonymous blogger)
- La Shawn Barber's La Shawn Barber's Corner
- Michael Barone's Barone Blog at US News & World Report Online
- Austin Bay's Austin Bay Blog
- Tim Blair's Tim Blair
- Baron Bodissey and Dymphna's Gates of Vienna Blogspot (pseudonymous bloggers)
- Kim Bloomer's Bark 'N' Blog at aspenbloom-wellpet.com
- Tammy Bruce's TammyBruce.com
- John Cole's Balloon Juice
- Marc Cooper's marccooper.com
- David Corn's DavidCorn.com
- Pieter Dorsman's Peaktalk
- Daniel W. Drezner's Daniel W. Drezner Blog
- Edward B. Driscoll, Jr.'s EdDriscoll.com
- Dean Esmay's Dean's World
- Richard Fernandez's The Belmont Club Blogspot
- Jeff Goldstein's protein wisdom
- Stephen Green's Vodkapundit and the Weblog of Tomorrow
- "Grim"'s Grim's Hall Blogspot (pen name)
- Jose Guardia's Barcepundit Blogspot (English edition); Barcepundit Blogspot (Spanish edition)
- Nathan Hamm's Registan.net
- Celia D. Hayes (aka "Sgt. Mom")'s "The Daily Brief" at sgtstryker.com
- James D. Hudnall's Hud's Blog-o-Rama
- Steve Janke's Angry in the Great White North
- Amy Lopez's Pea Pies Designs Blogspot
- Jeremy Lyon's futurismic blog
- Evan Coyne Maloney's brain terminal
- The Manolo's Manolo's Shoe Blog
- Frank Martin's Varifrank
- Mohammed and Omar's Iraq the Model Blogspot (Iraqi dentist brothers)
- "neo-neocon"'s neo-neocon Blogspot (pen name)
- Juliette Ochieng's baldilocks
- Pamela's Atlas Shrugs Blog
- John Podhoretz, Blogger at "The Corner" in the National Review Online
- Rob Port's Say Anything Blog
- William T. Quick's Daily Pundit
- Vik Rubenfeld's The Big Picture Weblog
- Cathy Seipp's Cathy's World
- Dr. Rusty Shackleford's The Jawa Report
- Laurence Simon's This Blog Is Full Of Crap
- Don Singleton's Don Singleton Blogspot
- Martin Solomon's Solomonia dot com
- Michael J. Totten's Middle East Journal
- Eric Umansky's EricUmansky.com
- Eugene Volokh's The Volokh Conspiracy
- Sissy Willis's sisu
OSM Editorial Advisory Board
As of November 23, 2005, the following names are listed as members of the advisory board:
- Glenn Reynolds, Chair
- Michael Barone
- Austin Bay
- Adam Bellow
- Tim Blair
- Tammy Bruce
- Marc Cooper
- David Corn
- Richard Fernandez
- Jose Guardia
- Jane Hall
- Larry Kudlow
- Michael Ledeen
- Clifford D. May
- John Podhoretz
- Claudia Rosset
- Mark Steyn
According to an October 17, 2005, news release published by PR Newswire, the editorial board consisted of:
- "Pajamas Media today revealed that its editorial board members and contributors include 'Instapundit' Glenn Reynolds, one of the world's most-read bloggers; CNBC's Larry Kudlow, blogger and host of 'Kudlow & Company'; Michael Barone, blogger and senior writer, U.S. News & World Report; David Corn, blogger, columnist and Washington, D.C. editor for The Nation; and Claudia Rosett, a prize-winning journalist and blogger central to breaking the United Nations' 'Oil for Food' controversy.
- "Other luminaries on Pajamas' current roster of editorial board members include: [as written in the news release]
- Tammy Bruce, an author, former president of the National Organization for Women's Los Angeles chapter, host of 'The Tammy Bruce Show,' flag-shipped at KABC-AM (Los Angeles) and heard on more than 160 affiliates, and the personality behind http://www.tammybruce.com/
- John Podhoretz, a New York Post columnist, Fox News contributor, and blogger for the National Review Online's 'The Corner'
- Richard Fernandez, a Sydney, Australia-based software developer and author of the widely-read 'Belmont Club' blog
- Jane Hall, an assistant professor at American University's School of Communication and weekly panelist of Fox News Watch
- Dr. Michael Ledeen, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and expert on U.S. foreign policy
- Clifford D. May, a veteran news reporter, foreign correspondent and editor at The New York Times, and currently president of the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies, a policy institute focusing on terrorism
- Tim Blair, an Australia-based blogging pioneer and author of 'Tim Blair'
- Marc Cooper, an award-winning author, journalist, and contributor for the The Nation, and author of 'Marc Cooper'
- Mark Steyn, a noted, internationally syndicated journalist covering global politics and current affairs
- Adam Bellow, a widely-respected Random House editor and son of Nobel Prize-winner Saul Bellow
OSM Los Angeles headquarters
100 N. Sepulveda Blvd., Suite 275
El Segundo, CA 90245
Telephone: 877 676-2564
Email: editors AT osm.org
Note: As of November 23, 2005, there had been no change to Pajamas Media
OSM's web address or web links.
Related SourceWatch articles
- Staff: Charles Johnson, OSM.org.
- Staff: Roger L. Simon, OSM.org.
- Story: November 16, 2005, OSM.org.
- Name Change, OSM.org, November 21, 2005.
- Pajamas Media, Neocon Europe.
- Yahoo! Search for "Open Source Media", November 17, 2005. 138,000 results.
- Pajamas Media in the Wikipedia.
- Roger L. Simon, "An Open Letter to All Bloggers," RogerLSimon.com, April 28, 2005.
- Armed Liberal, "The New New Media," Winds of Change, April 29, 2005.
- Daniel W. Drezner, "Some changes are coming on Internet ads," DanielDrezner.com, April 29, 2005.
- Darren Rowse, "Pajamas Media - Proceed with Caution," Problogger, May 2, 2005.
- "'Pajamas' Blog Ad Network Being Stitched Together," Marketing Vox, May 2, 2005.
- Roderick Boyd, "Three Political Web Logs Make a Run for the Mainstream," New York Sun, May 3, 2005.
- Roger L. Simon, "Pajamas Media Meets Mainstream Media," RogerLSimon.com, May 3, 2005.
- "Blog Collaboration: Pajamas Media," Slant Point, May 3, 2005.
- Tim Oren, "Pajamas Media: Breaking Cover," Scoble's Link Blog, May 5, 2005.
- Peter Hannaford, "Pajama Game," The American Spectator, May 12, 2005.
- John Hawkins, "An Interview With Marc Danziger, One Of The Pajamas Media Partners," Right Wing News, May 16, 2005. re Marc Danziger
- FrankJ, "Pajamas Media," IMAO, May 16, 2005.
- Eric, "Pajamas Media Update," Myopic Zeal, May 16, 2005.
- Pejman Yousefzadeh, "The Rise of Pajamas Media," Tech Central Station, May 20, 2005.
- Ilkya Damen, "An Idle Question Which May or May Not Be Intended to Stir up Trouble," Ilkya Damen, June 19, 2005.
- "How do you like those pajamas?" Althouse, July 30, 2005.
- "Pajamas Media vs. BlogAds -- the blogger's perspective," Althouse, July 31, 2005.
- "Althouse, Vanderleun and Pajamas Media," The Anchoress Online, August 1, 2005.
- "Blog Ad Wars," Confederate Yankee, August 1, 2005.
- "Why I won't sign up with Pajamas Media," Zacht Ei, August 10, 2005.
- Kathy Herrmann, "Pajamas Media -- Two week post-launch review," Big Cat Chronicles Blogharbor, August 17, 2005.
- "Pajamas Media ramping up," L.A.Observed, September 26, 2005.
- "New Blog Venture Unveils All-Star Contributors, Prepares for November Debut," PR Newswire, October 17, 2005.
- Doug Williams, "Too Small To Wear Pajamas?" Bogus Gold, October 17, 2005.
- Elinor Mills, "Bloggers unite for aggregation site," CNET News, October 17, 2005.
- Jack Grant, "My experience with Pajamas Media," Random Fate, October 17, 2005; also posted on The Moderate Voice.
- Micah L. Sifry, "Pajamas Media Plays Peek-a-Boo," Personal Democracy, October 18, 2005.
- Richard Silverstein, "Pajamas Media’s Tilt Toward Israeli Right," Tikun Olam, October 20, 2005.
- "Sorry, But You’re Probably Not Going To Make Money With Pajamas Media," Dennis The Peasant, October 20, 2005.
- "Pajamas Media Blog Network Announced," Marketing Vox, October 24, 2005.
- "Some Thoughtful Comments Spur Further Discussion About On Pajamas Media," Dennis The Peasant, October 24, 2005.
- David Cohn, "Will Pajamas Media Wake Up Blogs?" Wired, October 26, 2005.
- Joseph, "All Media Considered," Martini Republic, October 26, 2005. Scroll down to commentary on Pajamas Media.
- James Wolcott, "Pajama Bottoms," JamesWolcott.com, October 30, 2005.
- Meghan Clyne, "Blogger Malkin Is Part of 'Pajamas Media' Rollout," The New York Sun, November 15, 2005.
- Joseph, "The Pajamas Media Charade," Martini Republic, October 28, 2005. Key note speaker at the November 16, 2005, launch? Go here and click on link for surprise photo.
- "Pajamas Media," ishkabible, October 29, 2005: "The site, when it launches, won't be called Pajamas Media. And right there you can start to taste the disaster in the air."
- Andrew Leigh, "Pajama-Clad Revolutionaries. Bloggers get organized," National Review Online, November 15, 2005.
- "Vaporware," The Talent Show, November 16, 2005.
- "More on Open Source Media," FBIHOP blogspot, November 16, 2005.
- James Joyner, "Open Source (Pajamas) Media: An Early Assessment," Outside the Beltway, November 17, 2005.
- Dean Esmay, "Pajamas Media/Open Source Media Faux Pas?" Dean's World, November 17, 2005.
- commisar, "Pajamas Media - The Monster of the Blogosphere," The Politburo Diktat, November 22, 2005.
- Dan Gillmor, "Pajamas Media, Redux," Bayosphere, November 22, 2005.
- Kevin Aylward, "
Open Source MediaPajamas Media Logo Contest," Wizbang Blog, November 23, 2005.
- Stephen Bainbridge, "The Pajamas Media Blog Jam," ProfessorBainbridge.com, November 24, 2005.
- Paul McLeary, "Pajamas Media Rolls Out Of Bed, Falls on Face," CJR Daily, November 28, 2005.
- commissar, "Flannels Media," The Politburo Diktat, November 28, 2005.
- Dan Reihl, "Pajamas Media Again," Riehl World View, December 2, 2005.
- Tex MacRae, "Propagandists in Pajamas?" AntiWar.com, December 3, 2005.
- Tony Pierce, "why im so glad im not a Right Wing Blogger in 2005-2006 or a member of Pajamas Media," TonyPierce.com Blog, December 3, 2005.
- Dan Riehl, "Pajamas Media: This Makes No Sense," Riehl World View, December 10, 2005.
- Kevin Aylward, "Pajamas Media - Building A Better Echo Chamber," Wizbang Blog, December 14, 2005.
- James Wolcott, "The Right Side of History, The Wrong Side of Roger," JamesWolcott.com, December 20, 2005.
- Russ Baker, "Talkin' 'Bout a Revolution," Columbia Journalism Review, January/February 2006.
- MacRanger, Pajama Media Close It’s Door - Good Riddance, MacsMind, January 31, 2009.