It was announced on June 8, 2007, that Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates would not renominate Pace for another term as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, "avoiding a contentious debate with the Democratic-led Congress over unpopular Iraq war." Gates "paid tribute to Pace but said after consulting with Republican and Democratic Senators, he had come to believe that Pace would face a bruising reconfirmation hearing." 
When appointed as Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff by President George W. Bush on October 15, 2001, Pace replaced General Myers, who then became the 15th Chairman of the JCS. Pace became "the first Marine to hold the vice chairmanship, the second-highest uniformed position in the Defense Department." 
- Former Commander-in-Chief of U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM).
- Former Commander of U.S. Marine Corps Forces in the Atlantic March 2000.
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- civil war in Iraq
- Exit Strategy from Iraq
- Rumsfeld Memo 16 October 2003
- stay the course
- troop surge in Iraq
- violence in the Middle East
- war in Iran
- war in Iraq
- Gen. Pete Pace, Transcript of Speech delivered to the Inter-American Defense Board, April 3, 2002.
- "Marine to head Joint Chiefs of Staff," Associated Press (International Herald Tribune), April 23, 2005.
- Al Pessin, "Top American General Disputes US Military Claim on Iran," Voice of America News, February 12, 2007.
- Karen DeYoung, "Pace Demurs on Accusation of Iran. General Says He Knows Nothing Tying Leaders to Arms in Iraq," Washington Post, February 13, 2007.
- John Amato, "Pentagon Worried It Can't Meet a Third Threat," Crooks and Liars, February 26, 2007.
- Nico Pitney, "Pelosi: 'We Don't Need Moral Judgment From The Chairman Of The Joint Chiefs'," Think Progress, March 13, 2007.
- Lolita Baldor, "Pace Loses Joint Chiefs Term Nod," Associated Press (TIME Magazine), June 8, 2007.
- Andrew Gray, "Iraq forces Gates to pick new top U.S. officer," Reuters (UK), June 8, 2007.
- Mark Thompson, "Removing Pace, Clearing the Decks," TIME Magazine, June 8, 2007.
- Rowan Scarborough, "Pace latest general to fall," The (Boston) Examiner, June 8, 2007.
- Dan Froomkin, "How Bush Uses His Generals," Washington Post, July 16, 2007.