Ratan N. Tata
Ratan N. Tata
"As Chairman of Tata Group, India's largest and most diversified industrial house, Ratan N. Tata presides over a sweeping business and philanthropic landscape. Tata Group operates more than 80 companies ranging from software and automobiles to steel, consumer goods and telecommunications. With 200,000 employees across India, it is the nation's largest private employer.
"Tata Group is also unique in that nearly two thirds of the equity of the parent firm, Tata Sons Ltd., is held by philanthropic trusts endowed by Sir Dorabji Tata and Sir Ratan Tata, sons of Jamsetji Tata, who founded the family business in the 1860s. These multipurpose trusts, chaired by Ratan N. Tata, include two of the earliest and largest private grantmaking organizations in India. Through these trusts, Tata Sons gives away on average between 8 to 14 percent of its net profit every year.
"Trained as an architect at New York's Cornell University, Ratan N. Tata opted instead to enter the family business, putting in time on the shop floors in key Tata industries. After assuming the Chairmanship of the Group in 1991, he proceeded to streamline the sprawling Tata Group around seven core business sectors. In corporate social responsibility he has given new direction and focus to the Tata Group's disparate activities with the creation of the Tata Council for Community Initiatives (TCCI) in 1996.
"Mr Tata also serves on the board of directors of Alcoa. He is also on the international advisory boards of Mitsubishi Corporation, the American International Group, JP Morgan Chase, Rolls Royce, Temasek Holdings and the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
"Mr Tata is also associated with various organisations in India and overseas. He is the Chairman of two of the largest private-sector-promoted philanthropic trusts in India. He is a member of the Indian Prime Minister’s Council on Trade and Industry. He is the President of the Court of the Indian Institute of Science and Chairman of the Council of Management of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research. He also serves on the board of trustees of Cornell University and the University of Southern California." 
- Chair, Tata Steel 
- Co-chair, India UK CEO Forum
- Former Trustee, Ford Foundation
- Advisory Board, Global Business Coalition 
- Director, Fiat Group (since 2006) 
- Leader, B Team 
- Commissioner, Global Ocean Commission 
- Advisory council, FIRST Magazine 
Resources and articles
- Ratan N. Tata: Linking shareholder value and social responsibility, Global Giving Matters, accessed October 8, 2007.
- Tata Group Ratan N. Tata, organizational web page, accessed June 25, 2012.
- Tata Steel Board, organizational web page, accessed June 29, 2012.
- Staff, Global Business Coalition, accessed November 3, 2009.
- Directors, Fiat Group, accessed July 26, 2010.
- B Team, Virgin, accessed May 25, 2015.
- Commissioners, Global Ocean Commission, accessed June 21, 2015.
- FIRST Magazine Senior Advisors, organizational web page, accessed February 29, 2016.