Reed Elsevier, Inc.
Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
Reed Elsevier Inc is a London-based company that describes itself as offering "professional information solutions in the Science, Medical, Risk, Legal and Business sectors." Under the Reed Elsevier Group are: Elsevier, LexisNexis Risk Solutions, LexisNexis Legal & Professional, Reed Exhibitions and Reed Business Information. It has offices in London, Amsterdam and New York. It was started in 1894 by Albert E. Reed in England as Reed International PLC.
Past Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
On April 12, 2012, Reed-Elsevier announced it was stepping down from the board of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). Teresa Jennings, Senior Director & State Government Affairs Team Leader, had been Reed-Elsevier's representative on ALEC's corporate ("Private Enterprise") board as of 2011. Jennings is also a registered lobbyist for Reed Elsevier.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
(Additional historical information about Reed Elsevier is under review for updating.)
- Corporate Structure, corporate website, accessed July 9, 2011
- Reed Elsevier profile, Hoovers, accessed July 9, 2011
- Erik Engstrom profile, Forbes.com, accessed July 9, 2011.
- Reuters, "Reed Elsevier, Wendy's drop conservative group," Chicago Tribune (Apr. 12, 2012), available at http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04-12/news/sns-rt-us-wendysbre83b1dw-20120412_1_reed-elsevier-gun-laws-alec
- Teresa Jennings Linkedin profile, accessed July 9, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Private Enterprise Board, organizational website, accessed July 8, 2011
- See, e.g., Massachussets Public Records division, Teresa Jennings registration, Mass. website, accessed July 9, 2011.