Resources on the financial crisis and bailout
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
More help on uncovering the real economy:
- SubsidyScope, a project of the PEW Charitable Trusts, has a map of recipients of TARP funds, by county. The map is here and their general financial bailout project page is here.
- Center for Economic and Policy Research's Economic Crisis and Recovery issue page
CEPR's ongoing coverage of the economic crisis the United States is facing, in large part due to the collapse of the housing bubble.
- ProPublica's "Eye on the Bailout"
Tracking the bailout funds: "Our lists of recipients and programs deal only with expenditures by the Treasury Department – in other words, taxpayer money. We've included all such money allocated by Congress, both the broader $700 billion TARP bill and the separate $400 billion bailout of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac: a total of $1.1 trillion. But the Treasury hasn't been working alone – it's been putting up big money alongside the Federal Reserve and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. Our entries for individual financial institutions and programs indicate when the Treasury has committed funds in conjunction with the Fed and/or FDIC, but for a complete accounting of the Fed's and FDIC's spending so far, see Subsidyscope. Most of the data shown in our project comes from the Treasury Department. But in a few cases, we've gathered information from other government agencies or press releases and regulatory filings from bailout recipients."
graphical "History of U.S. Government Bailouts" here.
- Report: Make Markets Be Markets, Roosevelt Institute
Other blogs, websites and more resources on the financial crisis and bailout:
- Angry Bear
- Bailout Watch
- Beat the Press - Dean Baker
- Baseline Scenario - Simon Johnson
- Center for Economic and Policy Research
- Conscience of a Liberal -- Paul Krugman
- Economic Polity Institute
- Naked Capitalism
- New Deal 2.0 - Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute
- Planet Money – National Public Radio
- ProPublica Eye on the Bailout
- Real Time Economics Watch –Peterson Institute
- RGE Monitor – Nouriel Roubini
- Smirking Chimp – Matt Taibbi
- US PIRG Consumer Blog
- Calculated Risk
- Economist's View
- Financial Armegeddon
- Marginal Revolution
- The Hearing