Rodemacher Unit 3
Rodemacher Unit 3, also known as Madison Unit 3, is a coal plant in Boyce, Louisiana, part of the Brame Energy Center.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Boyce, Louisiana.
The current Rodemacher Power Station has a capacity of 963 MW: Unit 1 has a capacity of 440 MW and fueled by natural gas and low-sulfur fuel oil, and Unit 2 has a capacity of 523 MW and is fueled by coal from the Powder River Basin.
In 2005 two new units were being developed to utilize circulating fluidized bed technology and burn petroleum coke and coal; the Shaw Group was running construction. Lignite coal and Wyoming coal will serve as backups.
In June 2006, the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality issued an operating permit for the project. The plant is under construction, and in May 2008 Cleco announced the project was on budget and expected to be in service by October 2009.
According to the Sierra Club, Cleco Power will apply for approval with the Louisiana PSC to raise rates to cover construction costs.
As of November 2009, construction of the third unit at the plant was nearing completion and expected to go online in December 2009. The new unit cost over $1 billion to construct and Cleco received approval in early November 2009 from the Louisiana Public Service Commission to charge its customers higher rates to recover the cost of building the plant. The third unit will burn coal and pet coke, but Cleco says it is investigating using renewable biomass to power the plant as well.
In February 2010, the plant began operating. Cleco to use pet coke to fuel plant; Cleco said in the past Louisiana refineries have supplied nearly 400,000 tons of pet coke that have been delivered to and stored at the site.
- Bank of America
- Goldman Sachs
- Louisiana and coal
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- US proposed coal plants (both active and cancelled)
- Coal plants cancelled in 2007
- Coal plants cancelled in 2008
- State-by-state guide to information on coal in the United States (or click on the map)
- “Tracking New Coal-Fired Power Plants,” National Energy Technology Lab, May 2007, page 14. (Pdf)
- "Stopping the Coal Rush", Sierra Club. (This is a Sierra Club list of new coal plant proposals.)
- “Shaw Wins Contract for 600 MW Power Plant to Be Built by Cleco”, Goliath, September 23, 2005.
- "Cleco Corp. Posts 2008 First-Quarter Net Income of $22.1 Million", Market Wire on Yahoo! Finance, May 6, 2008.
- "Cleco La. Rodemacher 3 power plant enters service," Reuters, February 12, 2010
- "Generating Units," Cleco website, accessed February 2015
- Form EIA-860, US Energy Information Administration, 2012
Related SourceWatch Articles
- “Cleco Power Rodemacher Plant: 10 Month Project Almost Complete”, Bigge Crane & Rigging Co. website, December 3, 2007.