Satpura Thermal Power Station
Satpura Thermal Power Station is an existing 1,392 megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Madhya Pradesh, India.
- 1 Existing Plant location
- 2 Location of Expansion (Units 11-12)
- 3 Location of coal handling and ash disposal
- 4 Existing power station
- 5 Proposed expansion
- 6 Project Details of expansion for Units 10-12
- 7 Articles and Resources
Existing Plant location
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Sarni village, Betul district.
Location of Expansion (Units 11-12)
Units 10 and 11 are located adjacent to the east side of the older plant site. Unit 12 has yet to be constructed.
Location of coal handling and ash disposal
A large coal ash disposal site is located about 1 km west of Sarni. A coal handling plant is located northwest of Sarni, between Sarni and the adjacent town of Pathakhera.
Existing power station
|Stage||Unit Number||Installed Capacity (MW)||Date of Commissioning||Status||TG set Provider||Boiler Provider|
|First||1||62.5||October,1967||Running||GE, USA||The Babcock & Wilcox Company (B&W), USA|
|First||2||62.5||March,1968||Running||GE, USA||The Babcock & Wilcox Company (B&W), USA|
|First||3||62.5||May,1968||Running||GE, USA||The Babcock & Wilcox Company (B&W), USA|
|First||4||62.5||July,1968||Running||GE, USA||The Babcock & Wilcox Company (B&W), USA|
|First||5||62.5||April,1970||Running||GE, USA||The Babcock & Wilcox Company (B&W), USA|
|Second||6||200||July,1979||Running||BHEL, India||BHEL, India|
|Second||7||210||September,1980||Running||BHEL, India||BHEL, India|
|Second||8||210||January,1983||Running||BHEL, India||BHEL, India|
|Second||9||210||February, 1984||Running||BHEL, India||BHEL, India|
The plant was expanded with the addition of two 250MW units to the existing power station The first unit, Unit 10, was commissioned in March 2013. The second unit, Unit 11, was scheduled for commissioning later in 2013.
A terms of reference (the initial step toward an environmental permit) for a proposed Unit 12 of 660MW was granted in 2013.
Project Details of expansion for Units 10-12
Sponsor: M.P. Power Generating Company
Location: Sarni village, Betul district, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Original plant: 22.1107004, 78.1738615 (exact)
- Units 10-12 expansion: 22.1081334, 78.1770721 (exact)
- Coal ash disposal site and coal handling plant: 22.1091796, 78.1561804 (exact)
- Units 10 and 11: Operating 2013
- Unit 12: Pre-permit development
- Units 1-9: 1142.50 MW
- Unit 10: 250 MW
- Unit 11: 250 MW
- Unit 12: 660 MW
Projected in service:
- Unit 12:
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications:
- Units 10 and 11: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Feb 27, 2009
- Unit 12: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, May 9, 2013
Articles and Resources
- Madhya Pradesh Power Generating Co, "Satpura Thermal Power Station,Sarni", Madhya Pradesh Power Generating Co website, accessed December 2011.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, August 2013
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, May 9, 2013.
Related SourceWatch articles
- Tata Power
- Tata Ultra Mega
- India and nuclear power
- U.S.- India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Initiative
- Global use and production of coal
- Proposed coal plants in India