Sithe Global Power
|Headquarters||245 Park Ave.
New York, NY 10017
|Key people||Bruce J. Wrobel, CEO|
|Industry||Electric Producer & Distributor|
|Parent||Blackstone Group (80%)
Reservoir Capital (20%)
Sithe Global Power, LLC, based in New York, NY, is an international development company involved in the construction, acquisition and operation of electric power generation facilities. The company began as Sithe Energies, Inc. in 1968 and has since become one of the largest power producers in the United States. Sithe has developed over 50 power plant projects in nine countries with a capital investment of over $5 billion.
Sithe’s current development projects include coal-fired and hydroelectric facilities in the United States and abroad, totaling approximately 5000 MW of generating capacity. These include the 1500 MW Desert Rock facility, a coal-fired project in New Mexico, the 750 MW Toquop facility, a coal-fired project in Nevada, the 300 MW River Hill facility and 300 MW Shade Township Project , two waste coal- fired projects in Pennsylvania, and 1,750 MW of projects in Italy, Uganda, Yemen and other countries. 
In 2005, Blackstone Capital Partners, an affiliate of The Blackstone Group, purchased an 80 percent share of Sithe Global Power from the Reservoir Capital Group, which retained 20 percent ownership.
Accessed December 2011: 
- Bruce J. Wrobel - chair and CEO
- David I. Foley
- Michael Dal Bello
- Sean Klimczak
- Peter Giller
- M. Richard (Rick) Smith
- Nadim El Gabbani
Coal Projects Sponsored by Sithe
- Toquop (Nevada)
- Desert Rock (New Mexico)
- River Hill Power Project (Pennsylvania)
- Sithe Shade Township Project (Pennsylvania)
- Goreway Station Project (Ontario, Canada)
- Southdown Station Project (Ontario, Canada)
- Ma’arib Project (Sanaa, Yemen)
- Sithe Global Teramo Project (Teramo, Italy)
Protests Against Sithe Coal Projects
Dec. 12, 2006: Dooda Desert Rock blockade
On December 12, 2006, members of the Diné tribe blockaded a road leading to the planned site of the Desert Rock coal-fired power plant near Farmington, New Mexico, in protest of Sithe Global Energy's failure to fully consult with members of the community. Ten activists with the group Dooda Desert Rock set up a campsite on the road. On December 22, under threat of arrest, the campsite was moved to a nearby location, and company vehicles were once again able to access the site. This second campsite has been continually occupied ever since. No arrests have been made.
Hydroelectric Projects Sponsored by Sithe
- Bujagali Hydropower Project (Jinja, Uganda)
Articles and Resources
- Sithe Global Power press release October 5, 2005
- Sithe Global Power Press Release February 2, 2006
- Board, Sithe Global, accessed December 15, 2011.
- Protesters Blockade Desert Rock Site, Gallup Independent, December 13, 2006.
- Resisters Move, Gallup Independent, December 22, 2006.
- Desert Rock Blog, accessed January 2008.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Nevada and coal
- New Mexico and coal
- Pennsylvania and coal
- United States and coal
- Global warming
- Blackstone Group